Alternative Names Tower Lindsay
Site Type CASTLE, MOTTE
Canmore ID 47407
Site Number NS92SE 3
NGR NS 95429 21339
Council SOUTH LANARKSHIRE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CLYDESDALE
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS92SE 3 95429 21339.
(NS 9543 2134) Tower Lindsay or Crawford Castle (In Ruins)
OS 6" map (1912)
The Castle of Crawford is noticed in old records as early as 1175-8. It was in use as a farmhouse until nearly the end of the 18th century, but is now entirely ruinous. It was formerly surrounded by water.
New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; G V Irving and A Murray 1864.
The architectural remains of Crawford Castle date from the early 17th century but it was probably rebuilt from an earlier 16th century building. The castle is mentioned variously in the 12th, 15th and 16th centuries.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1899
The remains of Crawford Castle are in a very ruinous condition. They are situated on a large artificial mound about 5.0m high, probably the remains of a 12th century motte. Fragments of the courtyard wall, 1.3m high, are situated on the N side of the mound. The surrounding moat is 7.1m wide, but is entirely destroyed on the E. A causeway crosses it opposite the entrnace on the N.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 31 July 1959
Crawford Castle: name verified. The surviving parts of the W, S, and E walls stand up to three storyes high but they are in a poor and decayed state. The silted motte ditch is up to 1.3m deep on the N and S sides. Four stone tablets bearing coats of arms, one with the date 1649, are built into the W and S walls of Castle Crawford House.
Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.
Visited by OS (JRL) 16 August 1978.
|Books and References|
Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 6,89 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV
Irving and Murray, G V and A (1864) The upper ward of Lanarkshire described and delineated, 3v Glasgow
Page(s): 81-2, 105-6 Held at RCAHMS D.11.5.IRV
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.4, 225 figs.799, 800 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC