Kincardine On Forth, High Street, Market Cross
Alternative Names Mercat Cross
Site Type MARKET CROSS
Canmore ID 48126
Site Number NS98NW 8
NGR NS 93120 87515
Former Region FIFE
Former District DUNFERMLINE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS98NW 8 93120 87515
(NS 9312 8751) Cross (NR)
OS 6" map, (1966)
Kincardine market cross, standing at the S end of the High Street, consists of an octagonal shaft with a moulded base and capital, placed on a rise of six octagonal steps. Above the square abacus is a stone sculptured with the arms of the Earls of Kincardine on the one side and a thistle ornament on the other. The cross must be later than 1647. when the Earldom was created.
The market cross is in good condition and as described.
Visited by OS (M H) 13 July 1953.
|4 February 2014||EXTERNAL REFERENCE|
Notes The Mercat cross was removed for restoration on January 30th 2014. The base stone shows a date 1830, research dates the stone about the mid 1650s.
Information from A Stocks, 4 February 2014
|Books and References|
Drummond, J (1861) Scottish market-crosses, Edinburgh
Page(s): Pl.17 Held at RCAHMS G.2.1.DRU.R
RCAHMS (1933) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eleventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan Edinburgh
Page(s): 280, No. 531 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/11