Ingraston House

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Garvald House
Site Type HOUSE
Canmore ID 50028
Site Number NT14NW 6
NGR NT 1062 4811
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish LINTON (TWEEDDALE)
Former Region BORDERS
Former District TWEEDDALE
Former County PEEBLES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map




Architectural Notes

The arch from Ingraston House was moved to sit opposite the lodge at Garvald House. It has now been re-erected in the Biggar Museum. 1997

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT14NW 6 1062 4811

NT14NW 6.01 1033 4856 Gateway

(NT 1062 4811) Ingraston (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map (1911)

NMRS REFERENCE

The house of Ingraston stood on the N side of the Garvald Burn, about 1/4 mile W of Loanend. The building was in existence at the beginning of the 18th century, but was not occupied in 1775. It was dismantled in the second quarter of the 19th century, the stones being taken to build the farmhouse of the same name. Some fragments were preserved in the form of an arch and re-erected on this site to indicate where the house stood (Name Book 1856). These fragments, now forming an arched gateway at NT 103 485 opposite the entrance to the policies of Garvald House, date to the late 16th or early 17th century, and include some voussoirs from an archway, a small oval gun-loop and a section of corbelling. They were no doubt moved there c.1864 when the Dolphinton-Carstairs railway line was built.
RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:
ORDNANCE SURVEY

There are no remains of the house but the gateway exists at NT 1033 4857 as described. On the apex of the arch is inscribed 'I L 1650'.
Visited by OS (IA) 26 September 1972

 
Books and References

Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale). Held at RCAHMS on micro fiche.
Page(s): Book No.23, 5 Held at RCAHMS Ref

RCAHMS (1967a) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Peeblesshire: an inventory of the ancient monuments, 2v Edinburgh
Page(s): 293, 335, Nos 566, 600 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/17

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749