Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 50035
Site Number NT14SE 12
NGR NT 16199 43480
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District TWEEDDALE
Former County PEEBLES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
|1962||DESK BASED ASSESSMENT|
Notes NS14SE 12 16199 43480.
(NT 1620 4348) Drochil Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1963)
Drochil Castle, built about 1578, is Z-shaped on plan, comprising a rectangular main block, measuring about 84' by 69'3" over thick walls, with circular towers about 26' in diameter attached to the NE and SW angles. After it had gone out of use as a residence, it was used for storage, and is still used for penning sheep. Considerable quantities of stones have been taken from the castle since the beginning of the 19th century.
RCAHMS 1967, visited 1962
Information from Ordnance Survey Index Card.
|24 May 1971||FIELD VISIT|
Notes The remains of Drochil Castle are as described by RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (DWR) 24 May 1971.
|8 September 2003||EXTERNAL REFERENCE|
Notes Scheduled as 'Drochil Castle... a large-scale fortified residence, with two parallel ranges of rooms set on each side of a broad central gallery to each floor, and with round towers at the diagonally-opposite north-east and south-west corners.'
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 8 September 2003.
|Books and References|
Billings, R W (1845-52) The baronial and ecclesiastical antiquities of Scotland, 4v Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.2.R
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol 2, p 221 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC
MacGibbon, D (1891d) 'Drochil Castle', Trans Edinburgh Architect Ass, vol.1