Lennox Tower

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 50270
Site Number NT16NE 14
NGR NT 17370 67125
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish CURRIE
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT16NE 14 17370 67125

(NT 1737 6711) Lennox Tower (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)

Lennox Tower dates from the 15th century. It occupies a promontory, the S end of which has been cut off by a ditch, now 6' deep, which may have had in inner rampart. The site was apparently surrounded by a barmkin, and the conformation of the ground suggests that other buildings stood between the tower and the ditch, while there are vestiges of a cross wall on the N , between the tower and the river bank. The N and W walls of the tower are 25' high, but the S and E walls are only 6' high; the ruin, in poor condition now forms a rock garden.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1920.

Lennox Tower (name confirmed) is generally as described.
Visited by OS (JTT) 26 August 1965

Apart from the tower and ditch, there is no trace of any other features. The site is no longer a rock garden.
Surveyed at 1:1250.
Visited by OS (JTT) 26 August 1965

No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (BS) 23 December 1975.

 
Books and References

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.3, 224 fig.159 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC

RCAHMS (1929) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Tenth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Midlothian and West Lothian, Edinburgh
Page(s): 57, No.67 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/10

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749