Bonnington House

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Jupiter Artland
Site Type COUNTRY HOUSE, WELL (POST MEDIEVAL)
Canmore ID 50367
Site Number NT16NW 9
NGR NT 11141 69102
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish RATHO
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Recording Your Heritage Online

Bonnington House, c.1840, ?Thomas Hamilton
Actually in Edinburgh but with its entrance in West Lothian. Refurbished, 2001, by Lee Boyd Architects, including garden room and elegant structural glass staircase. Voted Britain's best listed home in a national television survey.


Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NT16NW 9.00 11141 69102

NT16NW 9.01 NT 1122 6844 Lodge; Gate Piers
NT16NW 9.02 NT 1106 6917 House
NT16NW 9.03 NT 1104 6911 Stables
NT16NW 9.04 NT 1110 6908 Walled Garden
NT16NW 9.05 NT 11097 69099 Sundial
NT16NW 9.06 NT 11139 68791 Ornamental pond

NT16NW 19 NT 11143 69143 Dovecot

(NT 1114 6908) Bonnington House was built in 1622.
NSA 1845 (J Clason)

Bonnington House is an early 19th century transformation of the 17th century mansion. Jacobean style, two storeys, harled. It belonged to Sir James Foulis, Lord Colinton, in the mid-17th century, and passed eventually to Wilkies of Ormiston.
SDD List 1964.

2009
 GROUND PENETRATING RADAR

Notes A geophysical survey undertaken by the University of Bradford Department of Archaeological Sciences in 2009 ( Bonnington House, Geophysical Survey Report s2137. (Unpublished DSR produced by the University of Bradford Department of Archaeological Sciences on behalf of CFA)indicated that the area to the east of the house where the new wings will be
constructed had been heavily landscaped in the past. The GPR data indicated the presence of paths, roadways and garden features, the majority of which occurred at a depth of 0-0.5m. There was no clear evidence of the wings depicted on Roy’s map, supporting the cartographic evidence that they lay further to the east than those currently proposed.
Information from C. Gaffney and T. Sparrow 2009. OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-121082


Further details

1 August 2011 to 25 February 2012
 WATCHING BRIEF

Notes An archaeological watching brief was carried out during ground works for new wing extensions to Bonnington House, near Wilkieston. Hand dug trial pits indicated that the foundations for the house sat directly on top of the natural subsoil at a depth of 0.9m or greater below the current ground surface, and that deep deposits of made ground (2.2m deep) were present on the southern side of the house. The watching brief in the area to the north of Bonnington House monitored the demolition of the boiler house, a later addition to the house. The removal of the boiler house exposed the original set of sandstone steps into the structure and a length of sandstone wall beneath the concrete floor. Walling to the east of the door, on the north side of the main house, was also exposed. No features were discovered that may have related to the north wing of the house. To the south of Bonnington House the demolition of the modern kitchen revealed the foundation walls and plinth for the extension building. A stone box drain, stone built water cistern and a brick built septic tank were also recorded within the watching brief area to the south of Bonnington House. An 'L'-shaped foundation wall which protrudes from the main house foundations was exposed running for 1.4m N-S and 3.7m E-W. This wall does not align with the front wall of the main house and may relate to an earlier structure or a now demolished extension.
Information from Magnus Kirby (CFA Archaeology) Ausust 2011.

Further details

1 August 2013 to 30 September 2013
 WATCHING BRIEF

Notes An archaeological investigation was carried out as part of a scheme of ground works associated with garden landscaping at Bonnington House. A stone-built well was discovered to the east of the House and cobbled paths related to the garden recorded on the 1853 OS map were discovered to the west. A lead pipe on the interior of the well on its west side reaches to the bottom of the well and was most likely used to pump water from the well to the house. An old pump in the basement of the house has a matching lead pipe, but no remains of a connecting pipe were unearthed during the ground works closer to the house and it appears that the pump and well are no longer connected. It seems most likely that the well is of 17th or 18th century date; that is, contemporary with the house.
CFA Archaeology 2013 (M. Johnson, G. Savory) OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-160201

Further details

 
Books and References

Bell-Ingram (1976) Bonnington House, Kirknewton, Midlothian: {sale particulars}, Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.7.23.BON.S

Coventry, M (2001) The castles of Scotland Musselburgh
Page(s): 94 Held at RCAHMS F.5.2.COV

McGregor, Savills, J A S (1999) Bonnington House, Wilkieson, by Edinburgh: [sale particulars], Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.7.33.BON.S

Showing 3 from 6 ...show more
Charity SC026749