Bavelaw Castle, Outbuildings And Stables

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type FORTIFIED HOUSE
Canmore ID 50375
Site Number NT16SE 4
NGR NT 16741 62782
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish PENICUIK (CITY OF EDINBURGH)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

BAVELAW CASTLE:

OWNER: Mr R. Douglas Miller.

ARCHITECT: Additions and alterations by Sir Robert Lorimer.

REFERENCE:
SCOTTISH NATIONAL BUILDINGS RECORD
PLANS:
National Arts Survey - 3 sheets (T.T.S. copies 428-430)
Details of panelling in Dining Room. Elevation and details redrawn by J. Ramsay Armstrong.
(sheet includes detail of door in Midhope) - 1 sheet.

MISCELLANEOUS:
Scottish Field, August, 1995 - articles and photograph

PLANS:
Dick Peddie and MacKay, Edinburgh
Alterations J.R. MacKay, 1938
Attic 2, Bin 2, Bag 2

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT16SE 4.00 16741 62782

NT16SE 4.01 NT 1666 6277 Buildings

(NT 1674 6278) Bavelaw Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1961)

The general appearance of Bavelaw Castle, which has lately been restored indicates a date in the early 17th century, but almost certainly there is a more ancient nucleus, as witness the number and style of the gun-loops, the wall thickness, and the very small windows (N Tranter 1962). It is L-shaped, the harled rubble walls rising to three storeys and an attic. A circular tower projects at the NE angle of the main block, and another small wing extends at the SE angle; it is apparently a later construction. The ground floor is vaulted and the N vaulted chamber is at a lower level, the difference in levels being repeated above. This is probably the nucleus of the original tower, which may date from the 16th century. The N first floor chamber is known as Queen Mary's Room, the castle traditionally being a hunting seat of Queen Mary and James VI (Name Book 1852).
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1920; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980.
(Undated) information in NMRS.

 
Books and References

Coventry, M (2001) The castles of Scotland Musselburgh
Page(s): 82 Held at RCAHMS F.5.2.COV

Forman, S (1955a) 'Bavelaw Castle', in Harrison, S Scot Fld, vol.103, 632 August
Page(s): 28-9

Glover, J (1905) 'Note of information as to Bavelaw Castle', Trans Edinburgh Architect Ass, vol.3
Page(s): 92-3

Showing 3 from 8 ...show more
Charity SC026749