Edinburgh, Barnbougle Castle
Alternative Names Dalmeny Estates
Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 50443
Site Number NT17NE 6
NGR NT 16869 78526
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County WEST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
See also: Barnbougle Castle, Garden NT17NE 6.01
Barnbougle Castle, Sundial NT17NE 25
OWNER: Earl of Rosebery
ARCHITECT: Wardrop & Reid - restoration c.1880
Robert Adam - proposed large scale castellated
addition, not carried out 1774
Sydney Mitchell & Wilson 1889 and 1904
Robert Burn - additions 1788
Scottish Record Office
Description of a visit.
1778 GD 126/Box 30
|Notes and Activities|
NT17NE 6.01 168 785 Garden
NT17NE 25 16824 78464 Obelisk Sundial
NT17NE 6.02 16847 78449 Horizontal Sundial
(NT 1686 7852) Barnbougle Castle (NR) (restored)
OS 6" map (1968)
Barnbougle Castle, a plain 17th century building, was ruinous prior to 1880, when it was restored, part of the N side being incorporated in the new structure.
RCAHMS 1929; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892
Barnbougle Castle, at present occupied, has no features of architectural importance; the oldest portions are the NE corner and the lower part of the N wall.
Visited by OS (JD) 9 March 1955
No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (BS) 11 December 1975.
This Castle was originally built in the 17th century and was rebuilt in 1881. It is located on the coast edge on rocky promontory within Dalmeny House estate. There are no apparent changes to the NMRS description (1975).
Site recorded by GUARD during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, 'The Firth of Forth from Dunbar to the Coast of Fife' 17th February 1996.
|Books and References|
Blanc, H J (1905b) 'Barnbougle Castle', Trans Edinburgh Architect Ass, vol.3
Coventry, M (2001) The castles of Scotland Musselburgh
Page(s): 79 Held at RCAHMS F.5.2.COV
Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 258,439,482 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV