Dalmeny, Main Street, Dalmeny Parish Church

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Dalmeny Kirk; St Cuthbert's Church
Site Type CHURCH
Canmore ID 50567
Site Number NT17NW 29
NGR NT 14448 77503
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish DALMENY
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County WEST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:
Print room:
Inglis Photograph Collection
Exterior: 2 general views (3 prints)
the Rosebery Aisle
2 details of doorway (3 prints)
Interior: 2 views towards East (4 prints)
view towards West showing building work ? tower (between 1912 - 1931)

W Schomberg Scott Collection:
View of the new font and detail of carving on the chancel arch (4 copies of this, 1 of them in separate bound folder)
Scc. no. 1997/39

Edinburgh Architectural Association - Sketch Book - 1880-1802 - 6 plates - unlocated at time of upgrade.

Thomas Brown colour sketches, Volume 1, Nos 6 and 59 (Adv. MSS. 34.8) - 2 sketches of church and porch - unlocated at time of upgrade.

Library:
Moxon and Carfrae /CBooks. No. 300. 1816 - details of painting work - unlocated at time of upgrade.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT17NW 29.00 14448 77503

(NT 1444 7750) Church (NAT) (11th Century Supposed)
OS 6" map (1856)

NT17NW 29.01 1444 7750 Cist
NT17NW 29.02 14459 77480 Churchyard

Dalmeny parish church, dedicated to St Cuthbert, is the most complete Romanesque church in Scotland; it is still in ecclesiastical use. Built in the 12th century, it originally consisted on a W tower, now demolished, an aisleless nave, chancel and apse. An aisle was added in 1671. There is a fine Norman doorway projecting on the S. The church was restored in 1937, a new W tower being added at that date.
In the church was an altar dedicated to St Bridget; another was dedicated to St Adamnan and St Columba.
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1927; SDD List 1964; A Reid 1915; C A R Radford 1965; H Scott 1915; H Scott 1950.

Dalmeny Kirk (NAT)
OS 6" map (1968)

This church, still in use, is generally as described.
Visited by OS (BS) 15 August 1974

 
Books and References

Anon (1939) 'Dalmeny church', Roy Incorporation Architects Scot Quart, 59 January
Page(s): 18

Baldwin, J (1997) Edinburgh, Lothians and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 156-7 No. 74 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER

Baldwin, J R (1985) Exploring Scotland's heritage: Lothian and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 112-14, No.65 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER

Showing 3 from 16 ...show more
Charity SC026749