Inverkeithing, Queen Street, Museum

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Franciscan Friary; The Palace
Site Type FRIARY, MUSEUM
Canmore ID 50940
Site Number NT18SW 21
NGR NT 12949 82757
Council FIFE
Parish INVERKEITHING
Former Region FIFE
Former District DUNFERMLINE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT18SW 21.00 12949 82757

NT18SW 21.01 129 827 Trial Excavation

(NT 1297 8274) Old Palace and Monastery (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1946)

In Queen Street the range of buildings being restored by the Town Council is the remains of the 'Palace' or hospitium of the Grey Friars. It dates mainly from the 14th century, with 17th century remodelling.
On the east side of the 'Palace' lay a court, the only remains of the buildings that once enclosed it being a range of three vaulted cellars (mainly 14th century) to the north. There were evidently other buildings in the orchard that extended eastward to the shore.
RCAHMS 1933; H Fleming

Brockie supplies a charter of Philip de Moubray, narrating his erection of a church and convent for the Friars Minor at Inverkeithing with an endowment from the lands of Barnbougle, 28 October, 1268. The authenticity of this charter is uncertain. This Franciscan Friary is mentioned in 1384/5, and again in 1559. The hospitium of the friary remains.
D E Easson 1957

The hospitium of the Franciscan Friars at Inverkeithing is now in use as a County Library: it has been restored and is in an excellent state of preservation. The cellars of the north range have been incorporated into a garden and pleasure ground scheme together with the foundations below soil here shown on RCAHMS plan which have been uncovered. The foundations are of more cellars, probably of the east range: in places, the walls survive to a height of the springing line. The well in the former courtyard (south-east of the hospitium) has been cleared and the well-head protected with an iron grille.
Visited by OS (AC) 11 March 1959

 
External Links

Scottish Church Heritage Research (SCHR)


 
Books and References

Bowler, D {P} (1989b) 'Inverkeithing, Queen Street (Inverkeithing parish), friary', Discovery Excav Scot
Page(s): 15

Bryce, W M (nd) The Scottish Greyfriars,
Page(s): Vol.1, 248-9

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) 'Medieval religious houses, Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man', London
Page(s): 126 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.COW

Showing 3 from 10 ...show more
Charity SC026749