Ettrick, Parish Church Of Ettrick And Buccleuch
Alternative Names Ettrick Kirk; New Kirk Of Ettrick: Lt B Napierwar War Memorial Plaque: War Memorial Roll Of Honour
Site Type CHURCH, WAR MEMORIAL(S) (20TH CENTURY), WAR MEMORIAL (19-20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 51184
Site Number NT21SE 2
NGR NT 25986 14506
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ETTRICK AND LAUDERDALE
Former County SELKIRKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT21SE 2.00 25986 14506
(NT 25981450) Church (NAT)
OS 6" map (1900)
NT21SE 2.01 Centred NT 25989 14488 Cemetery
NT21SE 2.02 NT c. 2598 1449 James Hogg's Grave
NT21SE 7 NT 26023 14539 Ettrick Manse
Ettrick Church. A "New Kirk of Ettrick" has existed since the beginning of the 16th century at latest, as it was noted about 1561 that the "Kirks of Wester and New of Ettrick" had paid no teinds since
Flodden, (OPS 1851, quoting "Book of Assumptions"), but it is impossible to date more closely the first appearance of a church on this site. The church built by Sir Robert Scott of Thirlstane, who lived from 1566 to 1627, (Scott 1118-1923) was thus presumably at least the second in the series of structures. The existing building dates from 1824, as is recorded by a panel on the tower, and it is of interest for its internal lay-out which perpetrates the typical post- Reformation plan of a "preaching kirk" (cf. RCAHMS 1957, 160)-the pulpit, with precentor's desk in front of it, being in the centre of the S. side and the pews facing inwards towards it from the E. and W. ends and from a deep N. aisle. Before the introduction of the present Communion table, boards were laid over the pews immediately in front of the pulpit to do duty for it on Communion Sundays. Over the W. end and the aisle there are galleries, reached by a stair in the tower, and over the E. end a laird's loft, reached by outside stairs which rise on either side of the E. entrance. The pulpit has a characteristic sounding-board with a dove for finial.
Two relics of the older periods remain. The first is a long thin stone, set in the S. wall of the church at the SE. corner and inscribed in raised letters S / R S MEMENTO MORI 1619. It evidently commemorates Sir Robert Scott, son of Sir Robert Scott of Thirlstane, who died in that year. (Retours) The second is part of an inscribed tablet of white freestone, reset in a wooden frame over the inside of the tower door. The lettering, which belongs to the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries, and corresponds closely with that of a tombstone in the churchyard dated 1709, suggests that the tablet was erected by Sir Francis Scott of Thirlestane, grandson of Walter and great-grandson of Robert, who died in 1712; though whether any specific statement to this effect appeared on this or any other similar stone must remain doubtful.
TOMBSTONES. The following stones of earlier date than 1707 were noted in the graveyard.
(1) A head- stone, now largely sunk in the ground, inscribed HERE LYES / MARGARET AL/ISON ELDEST DAVG/HTER TO GEORG WIL/SON TENNANT.... No date is visible above ground, but the lettering, which is incised, suggests the end of the 17th century.
(2) A very small headstone, the rounded shape of which is evidently natural, bearing the incised inscription W B I N / 1691. Small and naturally shaped headstones of this type, apparently glacial pebbles such as could have been obtained from the bed of the river, are numerous in this graveyard, but the remainder are uninscribed; the late Rev. Dr. Addison told the Commission's officer that they were brought from the older burial- ground at Over Kirkhope (RCAHMS 1957, No. 12), and that they were known locally as "bulls".
Two collection-ladles, believed to be of 18th- century date, are preserved in the manse.
RCAHMS 1957, visited 1952
(No. 12 - Burial Ground (? Md.) - Selkirk 17 SW 3)
This church is fully as described by RCAHMS. It is in use for public worship.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 4 July 1962
A new photographic survey of the Parish Church of Ettrick & Buccleuch was carried out in March 2009 through RCAHMS Threatened Building Survey programme, as the church is being considered for closure in the near future. The opportunity was taken to acquire archive images of the neighbouring Manse and Steading related to the Church, the monuments relating to James Hogg - The Ettrick Shepherd (who was born and buried in Ettrick), the Ettrick War Memorial and the Boston Memorial Hall in Ettrick village.
Visited by IA/STG November 2008, photographic survey March 2009.
|February 2014 to July 2014||PROJECT|
Notes A data upgrade project to record war memorials.
|Books and References|
Baldwin, J (1997) Edinburgh, Lothians and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 131 No. 55 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER
Baldwin, J R (1985) Exploring Scotland's heritage: Lothian and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 91, No.47 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 240 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO