Edinburgh, Leith, General

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names North Leith; South Leith
Site Type BURGH
Canmore ID 51962
Site Number NT27NE 45
NGR NT 2670 7630
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred on NT 2670 7630

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NT27NE 45 centred on 2670 7630

NMRS REFERENCE:
J & J Todd & Son, Leith

The National Trust Survey (1938) mentions the Citadel, Andrew Lamb's House, St Ninian's Steeple, and No.38 Quality Street as being the most outstanding of the old buildings of interest in Leith.
Classification: 3A, 4B, 4C houses.

Photographs - No.38 Quality St., Kirkgate, 36-43 the Shore. 4 plates. National Trust Survey Midlothian (Leith) List Numbers 5, 8, 9.

Leith, The Cottage
NMRS SLIDES:
1 colour slide, missing at time of upgrade (27.5.1999).

Edinburgh, Leith Mission Halls.
ARCHITECT: Malcom Stark.
Precise location uncertain at time of upgrade 21.12.1999.

Edinburgh, Leith Spurgeon Memorial Temple.
ARCHITECT: D.A. Crombie 1893, Edinburgh.
Precise location unceertain at time of upgrade 21.12.1999.

Edinburgh, Leith Drawbridge.
Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1807, June - December. 30.7.1807
Pet. James Fyfe, Builder (1 Antigua St. PO Directory).
Drawbridge - West end between South and North Leith, South side.
Plan and elevation. Signed by architect - Alexander Stevens.

J & J Todd & Son, Leith
PLANS:
Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh alts
Thos McCrae 1936

PLANS:
Dick Peddie & McKay, Edinburgh alts
Dick Peddie, McKay & Jamieson 1951
NMRS PRINTROOM:
Inglis Photograph Collection, Acc no 1994/90
Two detailed plans of shore/dock are showing sewage plan and proposed overflow.

Edinburgh, Leith Mission Halls.
ARCHITECT: Malcom Stark.
Precise location uncertain at time of upgrade 21.12.1999.

Edinburgh, Leith Spurgeon Memorial Temple.
ARCHITECT: D. A. Crombie 1893, Edinburgh.
Precise location uncertain at time of upgrade 21.12.1999.

Edinburgh, Leith, unidentified church.
DC 6709 South Leith - church graded gallery land plan.
Black ink and watercolour, scale 1"-6'.
Dated December 1820, signed Thomas Brown.
816 x 610, YDA 2454 L 533.
Acc.No 1986/9.
Permission to reproduce: City Archivist.

Edinburgh, Leith, row of unidentified houses.
Sources: Dean of Guild 20.1.1814
James Thomson, builder in Leith.
Near the golfhouse, Leith.
Plan and elevations unsigned.
Row of houses, five pairs of entrance doors.

Edinburgh, house (property of Thomas Muir and James Cant, wrights), foot of Leith Walk. Particulars from David Henderson, architect, 1768.
(Edinburgh Evening Courant, May 30, 1768).

Edinburgh, Leith.
Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1811 14.3.1811
Pet. Peter and Christopher Wood. Sands of Leith. Warehouses for Whalefishing trade.
Plan and elevations.

Edinburgh, Leith.
Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1811. 14.3.1811
Pet. Peter and Christopher Wood.
Sands of Leith.
Warehouses for Whalefishing trade.
Plan and elevation elevation encl. Initialled P. and C. Wood.

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1813. January - June 8.4.1813
Pet. Matthew Allan, Druggist, with concurrence of J. Barclay of the Custom Leith, his landlord.
Alterations to shop front.
Plan and elevation encl. Signed J.B.

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1811. 11.4.1811
Pet. of Messrs. Corbet and Borthwick and Co., Merchants, Leith.
Wet docks of Leith - near.
Plan and elevation of warehouse - towards wet dock.
- towards citadel.
Signed as a true copy by John Paterson.

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1811. 23.5.1811
Pet. Messrs. Douglas and Brodie, merchants in Leith. Wet Docks, Leith, South side.
Warehouse.
Plan and elevation encl. - "Compared with the original John Paterson".

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1815. July - December 15.7.1813
Pet. Wauchope and Moodie, wine merchants, Leith.
"The old Marble Yard, Leith, bounded by -
on North-East prop. of Robt. Anderson.
on North-West prop. of Ellis Martin.
on South-East by Great Road from St. Bernards Street to the sands.
Plan and elevation, warehouses and cellars etc. unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild. Bundle 1815. July - December 19.8.1813
Pet. David Ogilvy, for Edinburgh Roperie Co. Leith.
Within their property near the Links.
Proposed to demolish and re-erect warehouse etc.
Plan and elevation. Unsigned.

Sources: Dean of Guild 14.10.1813
Pet. William Aitchison of Dunsmore.
Leith, tenement formerly the Weigh House - precise location unknown at time of upgrade, 8.2.2000
Proposed hatchways into cellars at front of building.
Plan and elevation, unsigned.
Shows two floor five door tenement with entry marked "to Ramsay and Williamsons".

Sources: Dean of Guild 2.6.1814
Pet. John Martin, Merchant in Queensferry.
Corner tenement fronting the Citadel of Leith, near to the West end of therof - - precise location unknown at time of upgrade, 8.2.2000
Minor alterations - door.
Plan of whole tenement unsigned.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT27NE 45 centred on 2670 7630

First mention of Leith was in a Charter David I authorising the erection of the Abbey of Holyroodhouse in 1128 when it was known as Inverleith. There were two towns, north and south, in the 13th century. The former was governed by the Abbot of Holyrood and the latter, by the lairds of Restalrig. In 1398 Robert I granted its harbours and mills to the magistrates of Edinburgh who purchased South Leith in 1398. The town was burnt and pillaged by the English under the Earl of Hertford in 1544 and 1547 (Battle of Pinkie). It was fortified by Sieur d'Esse in 1548, besieged in 1559, and the western part of the fortifications were removed in 1563. Cromwell erected in citadel there in 1650.
J Russell 1922.

Though North Leith and South Leith appear as burghs in 1367, this is perhaps an error. They are classed as 'burghal suburbs' by Professor Pryde. Leith was erected de novo burgh of barony (city of Edinburgh) in 1636. (For Leith Citadel, see NT27NE 10.)
G S Pryde 1965.

 
Books and References

Arnot, H (1788) The history of Edinburgh from the earliest accounts to the present time..., 'embellished with twenty eight engravings of public buildings and views, and an elegant and correct plan of the city, as it now is. Edinburgh
Page(s): 372 Held at RCAHMS D.8.3.ARN.R

Bertram, G (2012) The Etchings of John Clerk of Eldin, Thurloxton, Somerset
Held at RCAHMS H.2.CLE

Campbell, A (1827) The history of Leith from the earliest accounts to the present period with a sketch of the antiquities of the town, Leith
Held at RCAHMS D.8.41.LEI.R

Showing 3 from 10 ...show more
Charity SC026749