Edinburgh, Holyrood Palace, Holyrood Abbey
Alternative Names Holyrood Abbey Church; Palace Of Holyrood; Palace Of Holyroodhouse
Site Type ABBEY, CHURCH
Canmore ID 52381
Site Number NT27SE 35.01
NGR NT 26940 73964
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
NT27SE 35.01 26940 73964
Dick Peddie & MacKay, Edinburgh student drawings
Attic 2, Bin 35, Bag 3 J R MacKay
HOLYROOD ABBEY DRAWINGS
NMRS Photographic Survey of drawings for Holyrood Abbey in the collection of Ancient Monuments branch, SDD and transferred to the Scottish Record Office including: survey drawings by James Gillespie Graham 1832; designs for restoration and additions by James Gillespie Graham and A W N Pugin 1837 and a set of working drawings for the restoration by James Gillespie Graham 1837.
Copied 1979 Inventory 116
REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY
Scottish Country Life, June 1929, page 194 -photograph
NMRS Print Room
Inglis Photograph Collection, Acc No 1994/90
Chapel Royal in 1660, 2 views (as in Vitruvious Scoticus)
2 views of the ruined interior (5 prints, incl. AI 52)
2 different details of sculpture and 1 of slab tombs
engraving 'ruins of the chapel of Holyroodhouse'
REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE
Peal of bells for the Church of Holyroodhouse. Royal letter to the Earl of Mar, Treasurer, about the use of two broken cannock to make a peal of bells.
Restoration of the Chapel of Holyrood Palace. Letter to the Marquis of Breadalbane from James Gillespie Graham, architect. He asks that the matter of Restoration be drawn to the Queen's attention.
|Notes and Activities|
NT27SE 35.01 26940 73964
(Centred NT 2696 7398) Ruins of Abbey Church AD 1128 (NR) Nave (NR) Choir (NR).
OS 25"map, (1931).
The Abbey of Holyrood was founded in 1128 by David I for Augustinian Canons.
All that survives above ground is the ruined nave as repaired and consolidated by HMoW in 1911. Foundations of vanished choir and transepts were found in course of this work and left open for inspection. Within the area of the choir and nave remains of the original 12th century abbey church were found.
In the latter part of the 12th century it was decided to rebuild the church on a more sumptious scale which was developed during the next two centuries. It comprised a nave of 8 bays with western towers; N and S transepts each of two bays with an E chapel-aisle; and an aisled choir of 6 bays including a lady chapel.
In 1544 and 1547 the abbey was burnt and looted by Hertford's troops and in 1570 the choir and transepts were pulled down and the remaining portion of the nave was repaired and the church reduced to its present dimensions.
No additional remarks.
Visited by OS(JLD) 31 December 1953.
NT 269 740 During the upgrading of the Victorian boilerhouse, human remains were uncovered. Excavation by GUARD revealed the remains of a minimum of 38 individuals from two main phases of burial which form part of the medieval and post-medieval cemetery at the abbey church. The initial phase of burial was badly disturbed by a large pit. After this filled up, a layer of building rubble and debris covered the site; this included fragments of mortar, stained glass, lead came and architectural fragments. Through this a second phase of burials were dug.
Two coins from the reign of Edward I/II deposited c.1330 were recovered including one from a burial. A copper jetton or counter was also recovered; this was minted in France in the 14th-15th centuries.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Bain 1995
NT 2696 7398 An area in the NW corner of the nave was excavated in May and June 2001 to ascertain the nature of the upper deposits and the cause of drainage problems. Features excavated and recorded included gravels, drainage, graves, a medieval deposit and wall foundations. Recommendations were made to alleviate the drainage problems.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
A Radley and G Ewart 2001
c NT 269 739 A watching brief was undertaken in April 2005 during the excavation of extensive trenches in the gardens around the Palace of Holyroodhouse (NT27SE 35.00) and the abbey (NT27SE 35.01). The archaeological potential of these areas was somewhat limited by the extensive landscaping works undertaken in the gardens over the last two centuries, although there was a higher chance of encountering buried features near the ruinous abbey. There were no finds or features of archaeological significance.
Archive to be deposited in NMRS.
D Stewart 2005
Notes The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012. As a temporary measure, PMSA data on any site with multiple sculptures, such as the Scott Monument, can be found under Collection Items, then Digital Files; click on the PDF icon.
The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.
|17 January 1998||AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY|
Project 1998 RCAHMS Aerial Survey
|20 February 2007||AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY|
Project 2007 RCAHMS Aerial Survey
|Books and References|
Anon (1838) Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse: orne de 120 vues, representant les principaux edifices, les curiosites naturelles, les chateaux remarquables, et tous les lieux cites par Walter Scott..., In French Paris
Page(s): p.87 -engraving Held at RCAHMS D.20.GUI.R
Arnot, H (1788) The history of Edinburgh from the earliest accounts to the present time..., 'embellished with twenty eight engravings of public buildings and views, and an elegant and correct plan of the city, as it now is. Edinburgh
Page(s): opp. p.252 -fold-out view; opp. p. 305 Held at RCAHMS D.8.3.ARN.R
Bain, S (1995a) 'Holyrood Palace (City parish of Edinburgh), medieval cemetery', Discovery Excav Scot