Edinburgh, Holyrood Park, Queen's Drive, St Anthony's Chapel And Hermitage

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Queen's Park; Whinny Hill
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHAPEL, HERMITAGE
Canmore ID 52457
Site Number NT27SE 41
NGR NT 27566 73711
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT27SE 41 27566 73711

(NT 2756 7371) St Anthony's Chapel (NR) (Ruin)
(NT 2755 7369) St Anthony's Hermitage (NR) (Ruin)
(NT 2756 7372) Grave Yard (NR)
OS 1/2500 map, (1931)

St Anthony's Chapel was oblong on plan, 43' (13.1m) E-W by 18' (5.5m) over 3' (0.9m) thick walls. Its west end rose two storeys above the remainder of the square manse or house. Only the north wall remains, 30' (9.1m) high, with the adjoining part of the west gable and the base of the other walls, all recently consolidated by H M Office of Works. It is of 15th century date.
The 'Hermitage' was probably a storehouse. Apparently oblong on plan, 22' (6.7m) by 13' (4m), little more than the east gable remains, partly formed of natural rock and 9' (2.7m) high. While repairing the fabric of the chapel,several unlined graves were found under 1' below the surface in the narrow strip of ground north of the building. A small 16th-17th potsherd was also found.
A curved wall, now hardly traceable, ran between the chapel and Hermitage, and there were other walls as shown on plan.
F R Coles and T Ross 1896; RCAHMS 1951.

Remains of chapel are as described. Portion of east wall of 'hermitage' remains in restored condition. Traces of outer wall between chapel and hermitage are barely discernible.
Re-surveyed at 1/2500 scale.
Visited by OS (J L D) 28 December 1953.

The remains are as described in previous information.
Visited by OS (S F S) 3 December 1975.

What little remains of St Anthony's Chapel and Hermitage is plotted at 1:5,550 on an archaeological map of Holyrood Park (RCAHMS 1999). The site itself occupies a small rocky spur below the NW face of Whinny Hill, and is demarcated on the N and S by stretches of a ruinous stone wall up to 2.5m thick and 0.3m high.
Visited by RCAHMS (ARG), 15 December 1998
NMRS, MS/726/96 (52-3, no. 36); RCAHMS 1999.

INVENTORY OF GRAVEYARD AND CEMETERY SITES IN SCOTLAND REFERENCE:
Address: St Anthony's Chapel Burial Ground, Holyrood Park, Edinburgh
Postcode: N/a
Status: No longer extant
Size: N/a
TOIDs:
Number of gravestones: Not known
Earliest gravestone: Not known
Most recent gravestone: Not known
Description: Burial ground associated with a chapel, no longer extant
Data Sources: OS MasterMap checked 20 September 2005

 
Books and References

Amateur, An (1819) Scenery and antiquities of Mid-Lothian, drawn and etched by an amateur, Edinburgh
Page(s): opp p.10 -view of ruin looking north Held at RCAHMS D.7.21.AMA.R

Anon (1838) Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse: orne de 120 vues, representant les principaux edifices, les curiosites naturelles, les chateaux remarquables, et tous les lieux cites par Walter Scott..., In French Paris
Page(s): p.26 -engraving Held at RCAHMS D.20.GUI.R

Batty, Lieut-Colonel (1831) Select views of the principal cities of Europe: Edinburgh, (pt. 4) London
Page(s): engraving (4th of 6 in book-no page nos) Held at RCAHMS D.8.31.BAT.R

Showing 3 from 8 ...show more
Charity SC026749