Edinburgh, 11 Parliament Square, Parliament Hall

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Parliament House
Site Type HALL
Canmore ID 52512
Site Number NT27SE 5
NGR NT 25722 73508
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NT27SE 5 25722 73508

ARCHITECT:
Robert Reid 1803
James Murray, Master of Works to his Majesty-Feb 1st 1633. Produced model for the works of the Parliament and Council House for which he was paid ?1000.
William Brodie RSA-Statue of Lord Cockburn inside Parliament House

REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY
Welcome, 10 (October 1988), 3 -text, engraving of exterior;
"Parliament House in Edinburgh" by I.G. -2 engravings;
"Parliament House" by R.Scott -1 engraving;
Parliament Hall -text (D5/E(P));
Parliament House (Pitkin Press) Guide -text and photographs (D5/E/(P));
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland -Sir Daniel Wilson's Collection of Drawing, etc "Old Edinburgh" Vol.1 -8 drawings/engravings

EXTERNAL REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Criticism of the accommodation for the Public records. They are kept in two rooms, two storeys below the Parliament Yard "which of old was the only burial place within the Burgh". The writer of the Memorandum suggests that part of Heriot's Hospital should be used as a repository. He considers the part of "the fabric which is on the front of the house on the East side of the Steeple or Great Gate" would be suitable.
1723 GD124/10/511

REFERENCE: SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE

Ministry of Works Files (MW5/8 1868-70) - information on installation of stained glass.

Edinburgh, Faculty of Advocates, Parliament House.
LOR/PRINT ROOM/118:

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28160- DC28165, 1970 & 1974.
Memorial, inscribed: 'Faculty of Advocates, War Memorial. Key Sketch showing monument in relation to library'.
presentation drawing - 10"x6 1/4".
Pencil on tracing, mounted on card.
s: Robert Lorimer.
d: 19.11.1919.

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC23529, 1925.

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NT27SE 5 25722 73508

(NT 2571 7352) Parliament House (NR)
OS 25"map, (1953)

The building of Parliament House was started by the Town Council in 1632. It had been completed by 1641. The building was L-shaped on plan. Its main block had 3 storeys with a hall on the upper two, respectively the Parliament Hall and the "Laigh House"; below was an undercroft, probably vaulted but now inaccessible. The wing was also of 3 storeys.
A pediment in the modern arcade in front is dated 1636.
Today, the fabric shows signs of extensive alteration. Externally, it is almost entirely hemmed in by modern buildings, while little of the original arrangement is left within. The N gable has been rebuilt inside the original foundation, probably about 1830.
R Hannay and G Watson 1924; RCAHMS 1951.

As described in previous information.
Visited by OS (S F S) 27 November 1975.

(NT 2571 7353) Prior to the insertion of a new stair in the NE corner of the Bank Building as part of the complex of Parliament House, enabling works were carried out that involved the exposure of the original stone walls of the 1830s building and the taking down of three floor levels, from the ground to the third floor. Standing building analysis, a photographic record and hand-drawn illustrations of architectural features were carried out.
In addition, an enclosed vault was disturbed beneath the area and a small evaluation trench was excavated establishing that the buttressed foundations of the building were resting on a bed of sand.
Other works consisted of an inspection of the vaults of the Exchequer Building and a small vault beneath the main building of Parliament House in advance of further disturbance work.
Sponsor: Scottish Court Service.
D Sproat 2001

(NT 2571 7353) A rolling programme of archaeological watching briefs and historic building recording continued as part of the redevelopment of Parliament House. The watching briefs were carried out in small discrete areas to the E of the Parliament House complex. Nothing of archaeological significance was found.
Historic building recording was undertaken prior to and during the downtaking of the roof and interior of the Exchequer Building within Parliament House. Details of various internal features were revealed and recorded during this process, and dendrochronological samples were taken from the roof prior to demolition. (AOC 3552)
Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.
Sponsor: AMEC.
R Toolis 2002

(NT 2571 7353) A programme of historic building recording and watching briefs continued between January and September 2003 as part of the redevelopment of Parliament House (DES 2002, 51). An interior and exterior historic building survey was made of Court No. 3 to the S wing, in addition to a measured survey of the S elevation of the complex. The interior consisted of former prisoner cells, abandoned for later storage use.
A watching brief of groundbreaking works was conducted around the N edge of the southern courtyard of Parliament House, but did not reach depths revealing any significant archaeology.
Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.
Sponsor: AMEC.
R Toolis and D Sproat 2003

NT 2571 7353 Two trenches were opened between August and November 2004 in the S courtyard of Parliament House, to examine archaeological deposits over 4m deep in advance of development. The evaluation first revealed, at the base of a 4m deep rubble overburden associated with the 19th-century court buildings, a thin layer of disturbed clay silt that covered a sandstone cobble surface. This cobble surface may represent the 17th- to 19th-century Meal Market of the former lower churchyard of St Giles.
The cobbles sealed a silt layer into which graves had been cut, containing 96 inhumations. Burials were positioned E¿W in rows, with the heads generally to the W, suggesting Christian burial. Late medieval pottery was recovered from the grave soil. This may demonstrate the southward expansion of the burial ground of St Giles¿ Church from the later 15th century. Preliminary interpretation indicates that burials ceased in 1566, as attested in the historical record.
The burial ground overlay a series of hillwash deposits containing building and occupation debris. Below these deposits a cobbled surface, possibly a road, was identified, beneath which lay silty clay deposits perhaps associated with medieval backland activity. The pottery from these deposits dates approximately between the 12th and 15th centuries. Naturally deposited hillwash material was identified below this, which overlay natural subsoil. Other finds include metal, wood and leather.
Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.
Sponsor: AMEC for Scottish Courts Service.
R Toolis, M Roy 2004

1997
 PROJECT

Notes The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012. As a temporary measure, PMSA data on any site with multiple sculptures, such as the Scott Monument, can be found under Collection Items, then Digital Files; click on the PDF icon.
The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Further details

 
Books and References

Arnot, H (1788) The history of Edinburgh from the earliest accounts to the present time..., 'embellished with twenty eight engravings of public buildings and views, and an elegant and correct plan of the city, as it now is. Edinburgh
Page(s): opp. p.293-fold out view Held at RCAHMS D.8.3.ARN.R

Billing, R W (1901) The baronial and ecclesiastical antiquites of Scotland (with an appreciation by R Rowland Anderson), (Four Volumes)
Page(s): engraving

Fullarton's Gazetteer (1843) 'The topographical, statistical and historical gazetteer of Scotland', 2v Glasgow
Page(s): facing p.411-engraving Held at RCAHMS B.2.TOP

Showing 3 from 16 ...show more
Charity SC026749