Edinburgh, Craigcrook Road, Craigcrook Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 52569
Site Number NT27SW 1
NGR NT 21068 74272
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NT27SW 1.00 21068 74272

OWNER: Craigcrook Mortification, 19 Melville Street, Edinburgh.

ARCHITECTS: William Playfair - additions 1835
Thomas Leadbetter - billiard room & bedrooms 1891
David Roberts & John Jackson, painted library in imitation of dark oak to match some carvings that he (Lord Jeffrey) had purchased from Stirling Castle. Spring 1818.

EXTERNAL REFERENCES:
NAT. LIB. Sketches of Scottish Scenery, p.1 -2 drawings
PUB. LIT. Scots Magazine, April 1810 -1 engraving
N.M.R. (London) Bedford Lemere Register, 7 27730 -38 negatives
/3 11251 /6 -negatives
11261 /2 -negatives
N.L.S. MS 7348 Note on decoration (presumbably Playfair wing) by D.R. Hat. Work directed by Lord Jeffrey's wife.

PLANS:
E.U.L. Playfair College 1835 - 55 sheets.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT27SW 1.00 21068 74272

NT27SW 1.01 NT 210 742 Garden
NT27SW 1.02 NT 21138 74359 Lodge
NT27SW 1.03 NT 21135 74254 Outhouses/Fernery

(NT 2107 7426) Craigcrook Castle (NR) While there is almost certainly older work incorporated, the main part of Craigcrook Castle seems to date from the early 17th century, with later additions. Excluding the modern extensions to N and E, it consists of a main block, 60' x 20', the towers attached, 3 storeys high. The windows have been enlarged. Internally, the ground floor was vaulted, as is the upper floor of the round tower. This amount of vaulting suggests a date of construction earlier that the first half of the 17th century, so it is probably that the extensive rebuilding of that time was superimposed on an earlier fortalice.
A 17th century wall still encloses the garden, the pediment of the archway is dated 1626
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1921; N Tranter 1962-70.

No change to previous information.
Visited by OS (BS) 2 December 1975.

 
Books and References

Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 4 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV

Grant, J ({1882}) Cassell's old and new Edinburgh: its history, its people and its places, 3v London
Page(s): vol. 3, p. 106-12 Held at RCAHMS D.8.3.CAS

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): vol. 4, p. 2 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC

Showing 3 from 10 ...show more
Charity SC026749