Edinburgh, Glenlockhart Road, Craiglockhart Castle
Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 52581
Site Number NT27SW 11
NGR NT 22706 70274
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT27SW 11 22706 70274
(NT 2270 7027) Craiglockhart Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1973)
Craiglockhart Castle, a small 15th century tower, is now roofless and ruinous. It is oblong on plan, measuring 28 1/2' N-S by 24 1/2' over walls 5' thick at base. The walls of freestone, stand 30' high and indicate that there were four storeys.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1929.
No change to previous information.
Visited by OS (B S) 8 December 1975.
|28 June 2011 to 29 November 2011||PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY|
Notes A programme of archaeological monitoring and building recording was undertaken both in advance, during and after basic consolidation works of Craiglockhart Castle, City of Edinburgh. This work involved producing a photographic record of the ruins during and after the removal of large vegetation, the securing of loose stones and consolidation of the walls, focusing on making safe the wall heads. Some work was carried out to clean out an existing trench around the base of the wall. The photographic record shows a number of features that had initially been masked by the vegetation. The work also allowed access to the wall head allowing limited access to the interior of the castle. A photographic record of the interior was undertaken during this visit.
Headland Archaeology 2011 (D. Wilson) OASIS ID: headland1-114857
|Books and References|
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 3, 227 plan Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC
RCAHMS (1929) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Tenth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Midlothian and West Lothian, Edinburgh
Page(s): 16, No. 18 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/10