Alternative Names Hallyards
Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 52987
Site Number NT29SW 5
NGR NT 2115 9137
Former Region FIFE
Former District KIRKCALDY
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT29SW 5 2115 9136.
(NT 2116 9136) Ruins of Camilla formerly Hallyards (NR)
OS 6"map, (1920)
Hallyards Castle - Some fragments of walling and a few mounds rising within a ploughed field represent all that remains of Hallyards Castle, which has evidently been an extensive house of the 16th or 17th century, built round a courtyard measuring 123 by 87 feet over all. A somewhat less ruinous structure at the north east corner is possibly of later date. Part of a gable, still standing at the south east corner, indicates that here the building has been a vaulted ground floor and at least two upper floors, with a lean-to structure or'to fall.'
After the death of Philip Skene in 1788, the name of Hallyards was changed to Camilla.
A H Millar 1895.
The ruins of Camilla, formerly Hallyards, are as described by RCAHMS; they are now very fragmentary and overgrown.
Visited by OS (W D J) 11 March 1959.
|Books and References|
Millar, A H (1895) Fife: pictorial and historical: its people, burghs, castles and mansions', 2v Cupar, Edinburgh and Glasgow
Page(s): Vol. 2, 143-4 Held at RCAHMS D.4.MIL.R
RCAHMS (1933) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eleventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan Edinburgh
Page(s): 29, No. 50 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/11