Falside Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Fawside Castle; Fa'side
Site Type DOVECOT, TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 53666
Site Number NT37SE 25
NGR NT 37769 70978
Council EAST LOTHIAN
Parish TRANENT
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NT37SE 25 3777 7098

NMRS REFERENCE

Non Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC/23675 to DC/23676, 1925.

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NT37SE 25 3777 7098

NMRS REFERENCE

(NT 3777 7096) Falside Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 1:10000 map (1973)

Though long ruinous, Falside Castle survives in its main features. Formerly enclosed within a courtyard, it originally consisted of a tall, fairly plain, 15th century tower, containing four main storeys, of which the topmost was vaulted. After the Battle of Pinkie (1547), in which it suffered greatly, it was enlarged by the addition of a 16th century addition to the S, of similar size and height, but L-shaped. This wing has a stair-turret in the re-entrant angle and typical corner turrets corbelled out at the two southern angles.
Remains of later outbuildings abut the courtyard wall. The ruin of an L-shaped, 17th century house may be seen at the SE angle.
Tranter, calling this 'Fawside Castle' though all other authorities give the OS spelling, states that it was under threat of demolition, but a committee has been set up to preserve it.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1920; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; N Tranter 1970

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Now restored and occupied.
N Tranter 1990

23 May 2011
 WATCHING BRIEF

Notes NT 3795 7098 A watching brief was undertaken on 23 May 2011 during groundworks associated with the construction of a single wind turbine to the E of Falside Castle. No archaeological deposits or features were recorded.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: Mr Ian Brash
AOC Archaeology Group 2011

Information also reported in Oasis (aocarcha1-101677) 7 June 2012

Further details

 
External Links

East Lothian Historic Environment Record


 
Books and References

Craig, T (2000) 'Fawside Castle - for owner occupation', in Clow, R Restoring Scotland's castles: an account of the restoration or rebuilding of eleven tower houses, based on presentations made at a conference held in Glasgow at the Henry Wood Hall, Woodside, organised by the Strathclyde Group of the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland, Glasgow
Page(s): 122-43 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.CLO

MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.1, 409-13 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC

Peebles, I (1985) 'Castle for sale: {Fawside Castle}', The Scottish Portrait September
Page(s): 10-11 Held at RCAHMS D.7.13.FAW.P

Showing 3 from 9 ...show more
Charity SC026749