© Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CHAPEL
Canmore ID 54088
Site Number NT40NW 9
NGR NT 4035 0549
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ROXBURGH
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT40NW 9 4035 0549.

(NT 4035 0549) Chapel (NR) (site of)
OS 6" map (1923)

Chapel, Falnash (Site). No structural remains survive.
RCAHMS 1956, visited 1932

'A church stood in the Thorneyhaugh at Falnash...but no trace of this building can now be seen.'
J Robson 1893

Sometime between 1705 and 1722 a church was erected at Thorneyhaugh close to the present road from Henderson's Knowe to Falnash. This church was repaired in 1722 and served until 1789, when another church was erected on the other side of the Teviot.
E Barton 1937

No structural remains of this chapel survive.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 20 September 1960

An archaeological assessment undertaken by GUARD of the proposed upgrading of the A7 between Dovecot Bridge and Castleweary around the village of Teviothead identified a number of archaeological sites.
The current church site at NT 403 051 has three previous forebears, one inside the churchyard at NT 403 051 (NT40NW 8) and one at NT 403 054. The third is supposed by tradition to lie within the Glebe lands at NT 404 049 (NT40NW 9), however no surface remains are evident.
Sponsor: Scottish Office (Roads Directorate)
J A Atkinson 1993

Books and References

Atkinson, J A (1993b) Teviothead, GUARD 131 Glasgow
Held at RCAHMS E.2.1.ATK.P

Atkinson, J A (1993f) 'Teviothead (Teviothead parish): archaeological assessment', Discovery Excav Scot
Page(s): 9

Barton, E (1937) 'Teviothead: yesterday and today', Trans Hawick Archaeol Soc
Page(s): 21-2

Showing 3 from 5 ...show more
Charity SC026749