Stow, Galashiels Road, Old Stow Kirk And Churchyard

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Killochyett; St Mary's Church, Stow; Old Parish Church Of Stow
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHURCH
Canmore ID 54523
Site Number NT44SE 6
NGR NT 45930 44558
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish STOW
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ETTRICK AND LAUDERDALE
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

Now demolished.

ARCHITECT: Archibald Ritchie, Sculptor - Tait of Pirn Monument 1851 (wall)

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT44SE 6 45930 44558

For successor and present church of St Mary of Wedale Stow Kirk at NT 4590 4438, see NT44SE 27.

(NT 4592 4455) Church (NR)
OS 6" map (1970)

The old parish church of Stow has been disused since 1876 when the present church (St Mary of Wedale parish church - at NT 4589 4436) was opened, and is now ruinous. It appears to have been a late 15th century building, comprising a nave and chancel, which was largely rebuilt in the 17th century, at which time the S aisle was added (an outside stair leads to a doorway dated 1660). In the W wall are two mullioned windows; one is dated 1771. Above them is a double light in 17th century style. Some of the red ashlar of the 15th century church can be seen on the N nave wall, and it projects buttress-wise at the SW corner where there is a section of the old base course. The 17th century work is a mixture of rubble and freestone.
When the Scots conquered Lothian in 1018, the church of St Mary of Wedale passed into the diocese of St Andrews. It was famous throughout the Middle Ages for its privilege of sanctuary and for the fragments of an image of the Virgin supposedly brought from Jerusalem by King Arthur. (The parish name 'Stow' derives from the Old English for a holy or consecrated place.) (See also NT44SE 9.)
RCAHMS 1929, visited 1915; G W S Barrow 1973; C McWilliam 1978.

 
Books and References

McWilliam, C E (1978a) Lothian except Edinburgh, The Buildings of Scotland series Harmondsworth
Page(s): 443 Held at RCAHMS Quick

RCAHMS (1929) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Tenth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Midlothian and West Lothian, Edinburgh
Page(s): 168, No.230 fig.202 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/10

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749