Alternative Names Tranent Castle
Site Type DOVECOT, TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 55007
Site Number NT47SW 3
NGR NT 40483 73047
Council EAST LOTHIAN
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Late 16th century house. L-shaped. Square stair tower. Now a stable.
|Notes and Activities|
NT47SW 3 4048 7305.
(NT 4048 7305) Tower (NR)
OS 6" map (1967)
Tranent Tower: This L-plan tower dates probably from the late 16th century. It measures 24'10" N-S by 36'6" transversely, with a square stair-tower projecting S at the W end. The walls rise to 3 storeys, with the stair-tower a storey higher. The upper storey, originally containing a watch-chamber, has late been used as a dovecot; its roof is pantiled and the gables crowstepped. Its fabric is in poor condition, and the roof is falling in. Little is known of its history, it would seem to have been built as a country lairds' house on a small scale. About the beginning of the 17th century, the property was aquired by the Vallance family who retained it till last century.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1920; N Tranter 1962
As described. Name confirmed. Poor condition.
Visited by OS (RD) 4 January 1972
|Books and References|
RCAHMS (1924) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian, Edinburgh
Page(s): 124, No.194 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(8)
Tranter, N (1962-70) 'The fortified house in Scotland', Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.1, 56-7 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.TRA