Bothans, Yester House

© Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Canmore ID 56164
Site Number NT56NW 9
NGR NT 544 671
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc NT c. 544 671

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT56NW 9 c. 544 671

See also NT56NW 4.

(NT 544 671) The village of Bothans lay around the old church. It was pulled down when the new village of Gifford was built in the 17th c.
(For the old church, see NT56NW 4).
C E Green 1907

The brewhouse, bakehouse, mill etc of 'the Bothanys' are mentioned in a charter dated 17 March 1374/5.
C C Harvey and J MacLeod 1930.

No further information.
Visited by OS (BS), 22 July 1975.

External Links

East Lothian Historic Environment Record

Books and References

Green, C E (1907) East Lothian, Edinburgh
Page(s): 252 Held at RCAHMS D.7.1.GRE

Harvey and MacLeod, C C and J (1930) Calendar of Writs preserved at Yester House, (Compiled for the Scottish Record Soc)
Page(s): 25-8, no.32

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749