Alternative Names Garlton; Garleton House And Castle Walls; Garleton East; Garmylton
Site Type CASTLE (16TH CENTURY), HOUSE (18TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 56360
Site Number NT57NW 8
NGR NT 50943 76697
Council EAST LOTHIAN
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
L-shaped. 16th century. Courtyard. Rubble-built.
|Notes and Activities|
NT57NW 8 50943 76697
For East Garleton Cottages, see NT57NW 73.
(NT 5098 7676) Garleton Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map (1968)
Garleton Castle was apparently an oblong enclosure of about a third of an acre containing a house with a small wing at the NE corner and two little lodges set at the western ends of the N and S boundary walls. At least three storeys high, the main block and wing were 50' and 42' long respectively. A circular tower 22' in diameter is salient to the enclosure at the SE angle of the wing. Only the N and E lateral walls of the house remain, indicating the W gable and interior divisions. Three vaulted cellars can be traced. An external forestair at the NE angle is secondary. A feature of the house is the number of gunloops of the splayed type typical of the 16th century (N Tranter 1935).
The SW lodge, now falling into disrepair, is oblong, two storeys high and has two vaulted chambers on the ground. The NW lodge is modern, but appears to be on the site of a building coeval with the SW lodge.
RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913
Garleton Castle is generally as described.
Visited by OS (BS) 16 July 1975
|December 2011 to March 2012||STANDING BUILDING RECORDING|
Notes A series of investigations were carried out in the area of the southwest lodge of Garleton Castle, Athelstaneford, East Lothian (RCAHMS site no. NT57NW 8 NGR:NT 50943 76697). This encompassed full building recording, visual inspection, two, 1 m2 test pits and historical research.
These investigations were carried out on behalf of the Wemyss and March Estate prior to a planning application regarding this property.
The work was carried out in order to create a baseline data set regarding the dating, phasing, constructional history and general historical background to the structure.
The main fabric of the structure is dated to the late 16th century and was originally 3 storeys in height, excluding possible attic accommodation. The truncated lodge has then been re-roofed in the late 20th century and previously converted to workers cottages during the late 18th century, with a further two re-modelling events in the late 19th and mid 20th century.
Produced by Connolly Heritage Consultancy.
On behalf of Wemyss and March Estates and the Pollock Hammond Partnership.
|Books and References|
Connolly, D (2013) Athelstaneford, Garleton Castle – SW Lodge, Standing building recording and test pits Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol.13 Cathedral Communications Limited, Wiltshire, England.
RCAHMS (1924) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian, Edinburgh
Page(s): 8-9, No.11 fig.46 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(8)
Tranter, N G (1935) The fortalices and early mansions of south Scotland, Edinburgh
Page(s): 57 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.TRA