Haddington, Dominican Friary

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type FRIARY
Canmore ID 56496
Site Number NT57SW 14
NGR NT 51 73
Council EAST LOTHIAN
Parish HADDINGTON
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc NT c. 51 73

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT57SW 14 c. 51 73.

The existence of a house of Dominican friars at Haddington (NT 51 73) is known by references of 1471 and 1472. Its extinction date is as obscure as its foundation but was after 1489-90. It is not mentioned in the list of Dominican houses in surviving 1557 and it is likely that it had a somewhat brief existence. Brockie states that it stood at the West Port (NT57SW 3.2) (MS collection of Fr Marianus Brockie, St Mary's College, Blaris).
D E Easson 1957

There was no Dominican Monastery in Haddington. This error probably arose from a lapsus calami of an exchequer clerk who credits himself one year with the payment of a sum of money to the Black Friars of Haddington instead of the Grey Friars. That this is so is proved by the fact that various similar payments appear for years both before and after that date, credited correctly as made to the Grey Friars. (However, Miller places a convent of the Dominicans as standing nearly on the same spot as the Episcopal Church - NT 5180 7387 - and places the monastery of the Franciscans on the same spot as Elm House NT 5183 7382.)
J Miller 1844

No further information regarding the existence of this friary or its site was found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (BS) 16 July 1975

 
External Links

East Lothian Historic Environment Record


 
Books and References

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 96, 99 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS.R

Easson, D E (1957a) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 96, 99 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS

Miller, J (1844) The lamp of Lothian, Haddington
Page(s): xi

Showing 3 from 3 ...show more
Charity SC026749