Haddington, Franciscan Friary

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names The Lamp Of Lothian
Site Type FRIARY
Canmore ID 56497
Site Number NT57SW 15
NGR NT 5181 7384
Council EAST LOTHIAN
Parish HADDINGTON
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map




Architectural Notes

NT57SW 15 5181 7384.

The Fransiscan Friary at Haddington was founded before 1242; it was burned by the English in 1355 and 1544. It was secularised in 1566/7, and it was decided to demolish the friars' church in 1572.
D E Easson 1957

The site of the Fransiscan friary is occupied by the present Episcopal Church (NT 5180 7387).
J Farquharson 1885

Elm House (NT 5183 7382) occupies the site of the Fransiscan friary.
J Miller 1844

The Episcopal Church and Elm House are adjacent and it is therefore reasonable, using the above information, to site the Fransiscan friary at NT 5181 7384.
Visited by OS (BS) 16 July 1975

The Greyfriars Church of Haddington was called 'the Lamp of Lothian' in honour of its magnificence. Part of the foundations of the building and evidently the remains of a graveyard were uncovered in 1878 when workmen built a large drain through the grounds of the friary.
J Robb 1883; R Gourlay and A Turner 1977.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

THe National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh, among the 'Uncatalogued
MSS of General Hutton', in Number 31.Vol.1, a pencil Sketch, dated 1782, of
this Abbey Church; and, in Number 32, two engraved prints.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes



 
Books and References

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 106 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS.R

Easson, D E (1957a) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 106 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS

Farquharson, J (1885) 'Address delivered to the Berwickshire Naturalists' Club, at Selkirk, October 11th, 1882', Hist Berwickshire Natur Club, vol.10
Page(s): 6

Showing 3 from 6 ...show more
Charity SC026749