Our Lady's Well, Whitekirk

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type HOLY WELL
Canmore ID 56697
Site Number NT58SE 30
NGR NT 5981 8166
Council EAST LOTHIAN
Parish WHITEKIRK AND TYNINGHAME
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NT58SE 30 5981 8166.

(NT 5981 8165) Supposed Site of Our Lady's Well (NR)
OS 6" map (1908)

A post-reformation document in the Vatican Library states that a chapel and chantry was founded at Fairknowe in 1295 (see NT58SE 11) by Agnes, Countess of Dunbar, to commemorate her recovery at a nearby well. (This site may possibly refer) (P H Waddell 1893).
The number of miracles performed at this well was so great that in 1309 John Aberndley procured a shrine to be erected and dedicated to the Holy Mother.
RCAHMS 1924

Our Lady's Well (closed). About 11 chains NE from the parish church. This well was formerly held in great repute for the cure of barreness has been dried up for upwards of twenty years.
Name Book 1853; NSA 1845

NT 5981 8166. No further information was found regarding the well. There is no trace to be seen at the supposed site indicated on OS plan.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 November 1962

Mr Caldwell, NMAS, is presently (16 October 1974) trying to locate the well by excavation.
(Undated) information in NMRS.

1853
 FIELD VISIT

Notes Our Lady's Well (closed). About 11 chains NE from the parish church. This well was formerly held in great repute for the cure of barreness has been dried up for upwards of twenty years.
Name Book 1853; NSA 1845

Further details

1924
 FIELD VISIT

Notes A post-reformation document in the Vatican Library states that a chapel and chantry was founded at Fairknowe in 1295 (see NT58SE 11) by Agnes, Countess of Dunbar, to commemorate her recovery at a nearby well. (This site may possibly refer) (P H Waddell 1893).
The number of miracles performed at this well was so great that in 1309 John Aberndley procured a shrine to be erected and dedicated to the Holy Mother.
RCAHMS 1924

Further details

15 November 1962
 FIELD VISIT

Notes NT 5981 8166. No further information was found regarding the well. There is no trace to be seen at the supposed site indicated on OS plan.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 15 November 1962

Further details

October 1974
 EXCAVATION

Notes Mr Caldwell, NMAS, is presently (16 October 1974) trying to locate the well by excavation.
(Undated) information in NMRS.

Further details

 
External Links

East Lothian Historic Environment Record


 
Books and References

Mackinlay, J M (1893) Folklore of Scottish lochs and springs, Glasgow
Page(s): 17, 112

Morris and Morris, R and F (1982) Scottish healing wells: healing, holy, wishing and fairy wells of the mainland of Scotland, Sandy
Page(s): 142, 144 Held at RCAHMS G.2.4.MOR

NSA (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.2 (Haddington), 31 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA

Showing 3 from 6 ...show more
Charity SC026749