Camphouse Farm

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CAIRN, FOOD VESSEL
Canmore ID 56928
Site Number NT61SE 3
NGR NT 679 130
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish JEDBURGH
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ROXBURGH
Former County ROXBURGHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT61SE 3 679 130.

A cairn was opened, about 1932, on Camphouse Farm, close to Camptown. The excavation is unrecorded and it has not been possible to locate the exact site of the cairn. Fragments of a Food Vessel, found here, have been deposited in the NMAS.
RCAHMS 1956; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1949 (Donations).

The only cairn on Camphouse Farm of which Mr W Renwick of Camphouse, Camptown, Roxburghshire, the farmer, knows is at NT 6802 1208 (see
NT61SE 8).
He was present at its excavation and believes that the Food Vessel fragments recorded above are from that cairn.
Visited by OS(RD) 20 February 1967.

 
Books and References

PSAS (1949) 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.81
Page(s): 191

RCAHMS (1956) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. An inventory of the ancient and historical monuments of Roxburghshire: with the fourteenth report of the Commission, 2v Edinburgh
Page(s): 14, 235, no.472 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/14

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749