Crailing House, Old Burial Ground
Alternative Names Crailing Churchyard
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHURCH
Canmore ID 57040
Site Number NT62SE 3
NGR NT 68847 24261
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ROXBURGH
Former County ROXBURGHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT62SE 3 68847 24261.
(NT 6884 2426) Church (NR) (Ruin).
OS 6"map, Roxburghshire, (1923).
Crailing Church. This church has been an oblong single-chambered building measuring about 75ft in length by 25ft in breadth; but only the NW. corner remains standing, the walls being elsewhere no more than 4ft 6in in height with a thickness of 2ft 7 1/2in. Sufficient is left, however, to indicate that an outbuilding abutted against the W. gable. The only surviving window is a small 17th-century light facing N. The following memorials were noted in the church-yard:
(1) A small headstone commemorating ROBERT ROBSONE IN THE YET, who died in 1697.
(2) A small headstone commemorating JAMES WOOD PORSHINER IN CREALING, who died in 1699.
(3) A small headstone commemorating JAN(?ET) SPOVSE TO JOHN ROBSONE. The stone is badly weathered and the date illegible, but the lettering suggests the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries.
(4) A small headstone inscribed HERE LYES RO/BERT HELEN AND / ISSOBEL WOODS CH/ILDREN TO JOHN WOOD SMITH IN ECK/FOORD 1699.
In addition to the foregoing, the graveyard contains two headstones bearing human figures (RCAHMS 1956, fig.27); dates have vanished, but the clothing of the figures suggests that they may fall within the period of the Inventory. Both wear breeches and long coats, one of these having turned-up sleeves and no collar. This latter figure also has a flat cap and a stick. Other badly weathered and undated stones, possibly earlier than 1707, include a large and a small headstone bearing the emblems of mortality.
RCAHMS 1956, visited 6 August 1931, 24 October 1944.
"In this church David Calderwood, the famous patriot and ecclesiastical historian, commenced his adventurous career in 1604 ... it was dismantled in 1754, when the parishes of Crailing and Nisbet were united."
W Brydon 1952.
As described by RCAHMS. The outline of the church cannot be traced with any certainty.
Visited by OS(WDJ) 17 January 1967.
|Books and References|
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 209, 213, 363 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO
Brydon, W (1952) 'Crailing and its associations', Trans Hawick Archaeol Soc
RCAHMS (1956) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. An inventory of the ancient and historical monuments of Roxburghshire: with the fourteenth report of the Commission, 2v Edinburgh
Page(s): 123-4, No.195 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/14