Site Type VILLAGE (MEDIEVAL)
Canmore ID 57311
Site Number NT64NW 15
NGR NT 631 457
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Accessing Scotland's Past
A mid-nineteenth century source claims that there was once a flourishing village at Bassendean. Today, there are no physical indications of this, other than the remains of a church.
The church at Bassendean was founded in the twelfth century, so this may indicate that the village existed at this date. It is likely that the village served the estate of nearby Bassendean House, the seat of the Homes of Bassendean.
By the mid-seventeenth century, it appears that the village had declined. At this time, the church ceased to be used, as it was situated too far from most of the parish population.
Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk
|Notes and Activities|
NT64NW 15 631 457.
See also Spottiswoode village, NT64NW 21.
NT 631 457. Bassendean was formerly 'the site of a populous and thriving village', of which no traces now remain.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.
|Books and References|
NSA (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.2, (Berwick), 63 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA
RCAHMS (1980b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Berwickshire District, Borders Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 10 Edinburgh
Page(s): 60, No.526 Held at RCAHMS A.1.2.ARC/10