Cranshaws, Old Parish Church And Churchyard
Alternative Names Cranshaws House, Church And Burial Ground
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHURCH
Canmore ID 57528
Site Number NT66SE 6
NGR NT 68360 61676
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT66SE 6 68360 61676
(NT 68360 61676) Cranshaws Old Church (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957).
For (successor and present) Cranshaws Parish Church, see NT66SE 18.00 69231 61843.
This church, dedicated, or at least containing an altar, to St Ninian, is mentioned in 1296 but it undoubtedly existed long before that, according to Robson. The remaining fragment of the east wall, 2 1/2 ft thick, with foundations of other walls, indicates internal dimensions of 61ft by 14ft.
Excavations in 1889 revealed two doors in the south wall a feature of early churches, and a wall dividing the west end, probably built to form a vestry after the Reformation.
J Robson 1896; J Ferguson 1892
A portion of the east wall, 3.0m high, is standing in good condition: it is of rubble masonry. In addition the foundations of the building are traceable all round, measuring 19.5m by 5.6m externally. A plantation boundary dyke has been built across the NW corner.
Visited by OS (JFC) 16 December 1954
OS (JFC) confirmed.
Visited by OS (EGC) 27 April 1966.
Scheduled as 'Cranshaws House, church and burial ground 150m SE of...'
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 20 February 2009.
|Books and References|
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 50-1 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO
Ferguson, J (1892) 'Notices of remains of pre-reformation churches, etc, in Berwickshire', Hist Berwickshire Natur Club, vol.13, 1
RCAHMS (1980b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Berwickshire District, Borders Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 10 Edinburgh
Page(s): 47, No.413 Held at RCAHMS A.1.2.ARC/10