Tyninghame House

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Tyninghame House With Garden Ornament And Gateway; Tyninghame Estate; Tyninghame House Policies; Tyningham Castle
Site Type COUNTRY HOUSE (17TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 57732
Site Number NT67NW 3
NGR NT 61934 79840
Council EAST LOTHIAN
Parish WHITEKIRK AND TYNINGHAME
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District EAST LOTHIAN
Former County EAST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NT67NW 3.00 61934 79840

NT67NW 3.01 NT 61898 79819 Pareterre, Sundial
NT67NW 3.02 NT 61913 79777 Stone Square Flower Bed
NT67NW 3.03 NT 61974 79870 Clock Tower Court
NT67NW 3.04 NT 62121 79969 Stable Block
NT67NW 3.05 NT 61537 79589 Walled garden
NT67NW 3.06 NT 61680 79564 Cottage
NT67NW 3.07 NT 61467 79816 Haddington obelisk
NT67NW 3.08 NT 61594 79583 Walled Garden, Gateway
NT67NW 3.09 NT 61503 79665 Conservatory
NT67NW 3.10 NT 62154 79972 Dairy (Summer House)
NT67NW 3.11 NT 61670 79542 Gardener's House
NT67NW 3.12 NT 61670 79542 Ingleneuk
NT67NW 3.13 NT 61470 79888 to NT 62970 80383 The Avenue
NT67NW 3.14 NT 61862 79798 Secret Garden
NT67NW 3.15 NT 61872 79833 Modern Gothic Summer House
NT67NW 3.16 NT 61852 79826 Secret Garden, Fountain
NT67NW 3.17 NT 61862 79798 Secret Garden, Gazebo
NT67NW 3.18 NT 61931 79784 Stone Square Flower Bed

See also:
NT67NW 13.00 NT 6197 7970 St Baldred's Church
NT67NW 50 NT 61161 79011 Lodge
NT67NW 59 NT 61122 79200 Dovecot (Factor's House)
NT67NW 61 NT 61116 78953 Sawmill
NT67NW 64 NT 61110 79153 Mains Farm
NT68SW 32 NT 6199 8023 Kennels
NT68SW 44 NT 6330 8126 Links Wood, anti-tank blocks
NT68SW 49 NT 6329 8068 Links Wood, anti-tank blocks
NT68SW 53 NT c. 635 811 Links Wood, cross-incised stone
NT68SW 58.00 NT 62531 80908 Tyninghame Links (steading)
NT68SW 58.01 NT 62575 80885 Tyninghame Links, Grieve's House

For Old Manse of Tyninghame (NT 6182 7981), see NT67NW 2.

For remains of St Baldred's Church within the policies (at NT 6197 7970), see NT67NW 13.00.

For cross-fragment housed in the stables, see NT67NW 13.01.

Owner: Earl of Haddington
Architect: William Burn 1830 (alterations and additions)
Earl and Countess of Haddington - designed gardens after 1700
NMRS (Sch. Scott Plans) New entrance porch and wrought iron railings.
New library bookcases.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:
Scottish Record Office:
Tynninghame. Alterations at Tynninghame.
'I should be extremely glad to be with you at Tynninghame to see the great alteration ther is on that place'.
Letter from Lord Polworth (later Earl of Marchmont) to the Earl of Haddington.
December 7th
1722 GD 158/2507/page 49-50

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(NT 61934 79840) Tyninghame House: There was a house on the lands of Tyninghame in 1094; additions were made to it in 1617. It was used as a country residence of the bishops of St Andrews as early as the 13th century (T Hannan 1928).
In 1628, it was purchased by Thomas, first Earl of Haddington and since then it has been the principal residence of the family. The house was extensively altered in 1829.
Country Life 1902

Tyninghame is named in King Duncan's charter to the monks of St Cuthberts in 1094. By 1250 Tyninghame and lands had become the proeprty of the bishops of St Andrews, continuing so for the following three centuries. All through the 16th century, it was leased to the Lauders of the Bass, who lived on the Bass Rock in summer and here in winter. In 1828, William Burn was commissioned by the 9th Earl of Haddington to make extensive alterations to the house by facing with red sandstone and adding turrets and spires.
Extract from Estate Records, Haddington Estate Office, Tyninghame.

Tyninghame House is a modern three storeyed mansion of red sandstone with turrets and spires. It is the residence of the Earl of Haddington.
Visited by OS (EGC) 6 November 1962

The 17th century character of Tyninghame House as it appeared in the early 19th century is conveyed by a sketch in the library and whose extent is clearly shown in the drawings for Burns's alterations. The old house was built round three sides of a courtyard (where some old masonry is still visible) open to what is approximately the S, the oldest part being the thick-walled N and W ranges. It subsequently rambled out to the SE and expanded to the N. Apart from the bay windows, Burns's only significant additions to this plan were the porch, the lengthened W range and a new corridor alongside the SE projection, where he also put on some new turrets; those of the W range were there already. However, the elevations were completely altered; the walls were almost enturely refaced, new windows made and the house given a baronial appearance.
C McWilliam 1978.

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1978.
(Undated) information in NMRS.


 EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Notes Tyninghame is named in King Duncan's charter to the monks of St Cuthberts in 1094. By 1250 Tyninghame and lands had become the proeprty of the bishops of St Andrews, continuing so for the following three centuries. All through the 16th century, it was leased to the Lauders of the Bass, who lived on the Bass Rock in summer and here in winter. In 1828, William Burn was commissioned by the 9th Earl of Haddington to make extensive alterations to the house by facing with red sandstone and adding turrets and spires.
Extract from Estate Records, Haddington Estate Office, Tyninghame.

Further details

1828 to 1833
 MODIFICATION

Notes Alterations by William Burn.

Further details

1902
 REFERENCE

Notes (NT 61934 79840) Tyninghame House: There was a house on the lands of Tyninghame in 1094; additions were made to it in 1617. It was used as a country residence of the bishops of St Andrews as early as the 13th century (T Hannan 1928).
In 1628, it was purchased by Thomas, first Earl of Haddington and since then it has been the principal residence of the family. The house was extensively altered in 1829.
Country Life 1902

Further details

6 November 1962
 FIELD VISIT

Notes Tyninghame House is a modern three storeyed mansion of red sandstone with turrets and spires. It is the residence of the Earl of Haddington.
Visited by OS (EGC) 6 November 1962

Further details

1978
 REFERENCE

Notes The 17th century character of Tyninghame House as it appeared in the early 19th century is conveyed by a sketch in the library and whose extent is clearly shown in the drawings for Burns's alterations. The old house was built round three sides of a courtyard (where some old masonry is still visible) open to what is approximately the S, the oldest part being the thick-walled N and W ranges. It subsequently rambled out to the SE and expanded to the N. Apart from the bay windows, Burns's only significant additions to this plan were the porch, the lengthened W range and a new corridor alongside the SE projection, where he also put on some new turrets; those of the W range were there already. However, the elevations were completely altered; the walls were almost enturely refaced, new windows made and the house given a baronial appearance.
C McWilliam 1978

Further details

 
External Links

East Lothian Historic Environment Record


 
Books and References

Country Life (1902) 'Country houses and gardens old and new: Tyninghame, Haddingtonshire, the seat of the Earl of Haddington', Country Life, vol.12, 293 (16 August 1902)
Page(s): 210, 212, 213

Eddington, A (1904) Edinburgh and the Lothians at the opening of the twentieth century ... contemporary biographies, Pike's new century series, 12 Brighton; Edinburgh
Page(s): 78 Held at RCAHMS D.8.3.EDD.R

Forman, S (1953a) 'Tyninghame House', Scot Fld, vol.101, 608 August
Page(s): 28-9 Held at RCAHMS D.7.13.TYN.P

Showing 3 from 14 ...show more
Charity SC026749