Pennymuir

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Towford; Dere Street
Site Type TEMPORARY CAMP(S) (ROMAN)
Canmore ID 58106
Site Number NT71SE 5
NGR NT 75468 13955
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish HOWNAM
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ROXBURGH
Former County ROXBURGHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NT 75468 13955

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT71SE 5.00 centred 75468 13955

NT71SE 5.01 754 139 Roman Temporary Camp (Camp A)
NT71SE 5.02 756 138 Roman Temporary Camp (Camp B)
NT71SE 5.03 756 144 Roman Temporary Camp (Camp C)
NT71SE 5.04 757 139 Roman Temporary Camp (possible) (Camp D)

(Centred NT 755 140) Roman Camps (R)
OS 6" map, (1962).

The best-preserved group of Roman temporary camps in Scotland is situated beside Dere Street at Pennymuir, a short distance N of Tow Ford where the Roman road crossed the Kale Water.
RCAHMS 1956, visited 1949

Centred NT 755 139. The remains of Camps 'A' and 'B' have been fully described above. As stated, the earthworks within and without the SW angle are later works: two sheepfolds and an old turf (? field) bank. Centred NT 757 144. The only remaining part of Camp 'C' is its W side, S of the Pennymuir road, traceable for some 150.0m as a very slight turf bank (2.0m broad and 0.2m high); the SW angle; and part of the S side running from this angle for some 100.0m when it is lost in field drains. A field drain marks part of the E and S sides of the camp. N of the road the field is under crop, and no trace of the bank was found here except for a mere suggestion of its continuance on the W side immediately N of the road. The entrances were not apparent.
Centred NT 758 139. Parts of the N and E sides of Camp 'D', including the NE angle, are traceable as a low spread turf bank (5.0m broad and 0.1m - 0.3m high) with slight traces of an outer ditch. The N side can be traced for some 120.0m running up the hillside; and the E side for some 130.0m to the Kale Water. The earthwork has been badly cut up with drains.
Visited by OS (JLD) 11 August 1960.

Generally as described by previous authorities.
Visited by OS (RD) 30 May 1968.

No change to the previous information.
Visited by OS (BS) 8 September 1976.

 
Books and References

Baldwin, J (1997) Edinburgh, Lothians and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 177 No. 90 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER

Baldwin, J R (1985) Exploring Scotland's heritage: Lothian and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 136-7, no. 81 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER

Breeze, D J (1979a) Roman Scotland: a guide to the visible remains, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Page(s): 50-1 Held at RCAHMS E.10.1.BRE

Showing 3 from 9 ...show more
Charity SC026749