Cessford

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type AXEHEAD, HAMMERSTONE(S), SPINDLE WHORL, WHETSTONE
Canmore ID 58313
Site Number NT72SW 9
NGR NT 737 234
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish ECKFORD
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ROXBURGH
Former County ROXBURGHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc NT c. 737 234

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT72SW 9 c. 737 234.

Articles from Cessford (NT 737 234) which were in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) in 1894 comprise: a felstone axe, imperfect at the cutting end, but still 10ins long; a whetstone; a triangular block of sandstone with a coarsely pecked hollow on one face, 1 7/8ins in diameter and 7/8ins in depth; two hammerstones; and a whorl. These items were lent by T Scott ARSA, Bowden and the majority of them, and a flint or flints also from Cessford, are given in an incomplete list of articles in his collection in 1895.
G F Black 1894; T Scott 1897.

A large quantity of material from Mr Scott's collection, including items from Cessford, was donated to the Royal Museum of Scotland (RMS, formerly the NMAS) in 1899.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1899 (Donations).

 
Books and References

Black, G F (1894b) 'Descriptive catalogue of loan collections of Pre-historic antiquities from the shires of Berwick, Roxburgh, and Selkirk', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.28
Page(s): 321, 328, 331

Scott, T (1897) 'Collection of flint arrow-heads, spear-heads, knives, scrapers, borers, flakes - about 600 in all - from Craigsfordmains mostly', Hist Berwickshire Natur Club, vol.15, 1
Page(s): 166-7

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749