Alternative Names Old Town Of Duns; The Bruntons
Site Type BURGH, TOWN
Canmore ID 58643
Site Number NT75SE 21
NGR NT 78709 53780
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
S.M.T. Magazine, February, 1934 - article and photographs.
|Notes and Activities|
NT75SE 21 78709 53780
The old town of Duns lay in the area known as the Bruntons (name: NT 7820 5474). It was burned in Border fighting in 1544, 1545, and 1588, after which last destruction it began to be built in its present position.
R G Johnston 1953.
Duns was erected a burgh of barony in 1490. The 'main part' of the town is said originally to have stood to the NW of the present town in the area known as 'The Bruntons', and to have been moved to its present position, close to the site of the medieval parish church, in 1545, following its destruction by an English army.
RCAHMS 1980; J Ferguson 1892; J Hardy 1894; G S Pryde 1965.
There still exists a rough map showing the last of the houses in the old town, which lay between the Pavilion Lodge (NT 780 543) and the North Lodge (NT 783 542), and showing the house in which John Duns Scotus was born.
The approximate site of that house is marked by a cairn erected near the Pavilion Lodge in 1966, the 700th anniversary of his birth.
W Renton 1978.
The modern town of Duns is vsisible on large scale vertical air photographs (OS 68/071/19-20, flown 1968 and 70/365/253-4, flown 1970).
Information from RCAHMS
|Books and References|
Berwickshire official guide (1965) County of Berwickshire: official guide 1965, Duns
Held at RCAHMS D.1.1.COU.P
Duns official guide () Duns, Berwickshire: the official guide, Cheltenham
Held at RCAHMS D.1.13.DUN.P
Elder, Madge (1962) 'Through the garden of the Merse', Scotland's Mag June