Duns, Market Square, Town Hall

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Tolbooth
Site Type TOLBOOTH, TOWN HALL
Canmore ID 58653
Site Number NT75SE 30
NGR NT 7853 5389
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish DUNS
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Duns Town Hall which was a Category B Listed building was demolished in 1966.

ARCHITECT: James Gillespie Graham 1816


EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

National Library of Scotland
'Scots Magazine' July 1816 - 1 engraving

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NT75SE 30 7853 5389.

(NT 7853 5389) The first tolbooth in duns was erected in 1328. A second building was built in 1680. This building was so severely damaged by fire in 1795 that it had to be taken down. The third and last building was erected in 1816, and demolished in living memory.
W Renton 1978.

 
Books and References

National Monuments Record of Scotland (n.d.) National Monuments Record of Scotland survey of private collections, bound typescript, 11v
Held at RCAHMS A.1.9.PRI

Renton, W (1978) The streets of Duns, {s.l.} (Berwick-upon-Tweed)
Page(s): 8 illustr. Held at RCAHMS D.1.13.DUN.P

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749