Cockburnspath Parish Church
Site Type CHURCH, SUNDIAL, WAR MEMORIAL (20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 58855
Site Number NT77SE 16
NGR NT 77445 71053
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT77SE 16.00 77445 71053
NT77SE 16.01 NT 77445 71028 Churchyard
(NT 7745 7105) Cockburnspath parish church is a simple oblong on plan, measuring some 80ft by 18ft 3 ins over walls averaging 3ft in thickness, and having a diagonal buttress at each angle. The details indicate that a church existed on the present site in the 14th and 15th centuries; this probably succeeded a still earlier building. A round tower, some 9ft internal diameter, is situated in the centre of the 14th century W gable; it was added in the late 16th or early 17th century. A small tomb-house, roofed with a pointed barrel vault, abuts against the E wall of the church, and is now used as a heating chamber. It is dated 1614. Before the Reformation, Cockburnspath was a chapelry of Oldhamstocks. The chaplain of 'Colbrundspath' is mentioned in 1255, but whether his chapel occupied the present site is not known.
RCAHMS 1915; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897; H Scott (Fasti Eccles) 1915; G Hay 1957
As described and illustrated by the previous authorities. The church is still in use for public worship.
Visited by OS (WDJ), 5 April 1966.
The church was extensively restored in the 19th century and its original date of construction is uncertain; the building is unlikely to be later in date than the 16th century.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.
|February 2014 to July 2014||PROJECT|
Notes A data upgrade project to record war memorials.
|Books and References|
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 15, 46-7, 360 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO
Ferguson, J (1892) 'Notices of remains of pre-reformation churches, etc, in Berwickshire', Hist Berwickshire Natur Club, vol.13, 1
Hay and Stell, G D and G P (1986) Monuments of industry, Edinburgh
Page(s): 190 Held at RCAHMS A.1.5.HAY