Alternative Names Hatton Hall; Hutton Hall; Hutton Castle Policies
Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 59718
Site Number NT85SE 1
NGR NT 88910 54929
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish HUTTON (BERWICKSHIRE)
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Sir Robert Lorrimer - additions, 1916-17
Reginal Fairlie - restoration, alterations and additions, 1926
[See NMRS Fairlie Mss for later note on Burrel by Fairlie's partner]
(Undated) information in NMRS.
|Notes and Activities|
NT85SE 1.00 88910 54929
(NT 88910 54929) Hutton Castle (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.
NT85SE 1.01 NT 88544 54698 West Lodge
NT85SE 1.02 NT 89284 54424 East Lodge
NT85SE 1.03 NT 88698 54834 Walled Garden
NT95SW 86 90394 54752 Hutton Castle Mill
Hutton Castle or Hall has been much added to and altered throughout the centuries. At its S end is the original small square fortalice, 3 storeys high, with a circular stair-tower at its NE angle. MacGibbon and Ross date this keep as probably 16th century, but Tranter states its age is unknown, but certainly pre-15th century. The tower itself is possibly a 16th century addition, a gun-loop of that period opening therein.(N Tranter 1962). The ground floor is vaulted, as is that of the large range to the N; this, now much altered, was built in 1573. The extensions have converted the place into a courtyard, open to the S. Traces of walls have been lately found, showing that the courtyard extended further outwards than now, and it was enclosed. The whole place was semi-ruinous at some time last century.(D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892) The castle was well protected to the NE by the Whiteadder; 60-70 yds SW of the castle, a ravine partly protects it. Between the ravine and the house, and 40-50 yds from the latter, are the remains of a dry ditch and mound, which doubtless continued round the site to complete the defences. Possibly this ditch is part of the works within which Edward I lay with his army the night before he took Berwick in 1296.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; N Tranter 1962.
Hutton Castle is generally as described. There is no evidence of the ditch or mound referred to.
Visited by OS(IA) 19 December 1972.
|Books and References|
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.4, 193-9 Plan Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC
RCAHMS (1980b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Berwickshire District, Borders Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series no 10 Edinburgh
Page(s): 57, No.502 Held at RCAHMS A.1.2.ARC/10
Tranter, N (1962-70) 'The fortified house in Scotland', Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.1, 19 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.TRA