Coldingham Church

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Coldingham Priory Church; Coldingham Priory, Claustral Remains; Coldingham Benedictine Priory
Site Type BOUNDARY WALL(S), CHURCH, PRIORY
Canmore ID 60143
Site Number NT96NW 11
NGR NT 90394 65949
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Parish COLDINGHAM
Former Region BORDERS
Former District BERWICKSHIRE
Former County BERWICKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

C14 Radiocarbon Dating
C14 radiocarbon dating


Architectural Notes

NT96NW 11.00 90394 65949

NT96NW 11.01 NT 904 559 Coin hoard
NT96NW 11.02 NT 90500 65962 Manse
NT96NW 11.03 NT 9042 6604 Excavation
NT96NW 11.04 NT 90372 65941 Transept Arch
NT96NW 11.05 NT 90315 65975 Hearse House and Grave Digger's Store
NT96NW 11.06 NT 90358 65969 Churchyard
NT96NW 11.07 NT 90313 65968 Gate Piers and Gates

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect:
Gordon and Dey, Edinburgh - new furnishings 1854-1855

Wm. I. Gray Architect - Alterations during restoration, 1854 - Rebuilding West and South fronts clearing away surrounding structures, new roofing and refitting interior. In 1855 during this work excavation revealed earlier nunnery buildings.

COLDINGHAM PRIORY DRAWINGS
A collection of designs and record drawings executed in connection with the restoration of Coldingham Priory by the architect, Wiliam J Gray of Gray and Paterson 1835-1858. Includes designs for new work in the style of the original and surveys of old work removed during restoration.
Deposited by the Berwickshire Naturalist Club, 1979. Inventory 95

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:
National Archives of Scotland:

See RHP 6506/1-8 Plans R. Matheson and 2 interior prints said to be 1788.

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC23213- DC23321, 1854,1954 & 1923.

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NT96NW 11.00 90394 65949

NT96NW 11.01 NT 904 559 Coin hoard
NT96NW 11.02 NT 90500 65962 Manse
NT96NW 11.03 NT 9042 6604 Excavation
NT96NW 11.04 NT 90372 65941 Transept Arch
NT96NW 11.05 NT 90315 65975 Hearse House and Grave Digger's Store
NT96NW 11.06 NT 90358 65969 Churchyard
NT96NW 11.07 NT 90313 65968 Gate Piers and Gates


(NT 9040 6593) Ch and rems of (NAT)
Priory (NR) (Benedictine)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1976).

For bronze terret held in the vestry, see NT96SW 19.

Coldingham Priory church is said to have been originally cruicform on plan, consisting of an aisleless choir and sanctuary, a nave with aisles, N and S transepts with E chapel-aisles, and a tower 90ft high over the crossing.
The existing remains are the N and E walls of the choir and sanctuary and a few fragments of the S transept with indications of an E aisle. Nothing survives of the conventual buildings apart from a large rectangular structure, known locally as 'Edgar's Walls', which may have been the refectory (see RCAHMS 1915 plan, fig.30). In 1662 the S and W walls of the choir were reconstructed and that part of the church adapted for use as a place of worship; it was again repaired in 1854-5, when the S porch was added.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896; RCAHMS 1915, visited 1914.

About 1098, King Edgar granted the shire of Coldingham to the (Benedictine) monks of Durham and a church, not yet monastic, was built, and dedicated about 1100. Only the church of Coldingham is mentioned in 1127, but in 1139 and again in 1140-1, charters refer to the monks serving the church of St Mary and St Cuthbert of Coldingham. The first prior of Coldingham is recorded about 1174, but the priory was obviously founded before this date. In 1215/6 the priory was plundered by King John's forces. During the Anglo-Scottish wars of the early 14th century, the monks were compelled to abandon Coldingham for a time. An abortive attempt was made to erect the priory into a collegiate church in the mid-15th century. In the 16th century, the priory suffered severely during invasions and was garrisoned both by Scottish and English forces. It was finally dissolved in 1606, and in 1648 most of the remaining buildings were destroyed by Cromwell.
I B Cowan and D E Easson 1976.

The fragmentary remains are as described. The N and E walls of the church (which is still in use) are in a considerably restored condition and not very impressive. No Norman foundations are visible on the ground, nor are any of the nave and aisles. The remaining wall of the refectory is in a crumbling condition. There is a well in the garden just S of the church porch. A number of early grave slabs were also noted.
Visited by OS (JLD) 1 November 1954.

No change.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 26 January 1966.

Recent excavations have located a cemetery and two long cists, and finds from the excavations include a cross- head, possibly of 11th or 12th century date.
H Clarke 1969; G A Elliot and T D Thomson 1970; D Noble 1971; T D Thomson 1971; D Noble 1973; T D Thomson 1973; D Noble 1976; RCAHMS 1980, visited 1979.

Photographed by the RCAHM in 1980.
RCAHMS AP catalogue.

NT 904 659 A survey recording the location of previous archaeological excavations at Coldingham Priory was undertaken ahead of a proposed programme of works to develop the immediate area into a tourist attraction for the 900th anniversary of the priory in 1998.
The extent and location of the original excavation trenches and major features were recorded. These included three walls which appear to be post-medieval in date, and a possible medieval foundation raft. Three sections were also recorded prior to the infilling of the trench.
Sponsor: Scottish Borders Council.
S Bain 1998

NT 905 661 An archaeological watching brief was undertaken in August and September 2001 on a small site close to the remains of Coldingham Priory (NMRS NT96NW 11.00), on the site of a former garage and filling station destined for redevelopment for housing. Several short stretches of walling were located which related to buildings previously occupying the site. Parts of a smithy shown on the OS 1st edition map of 1857 were recorded together with associated garden walling. A narrow and shallow ditch on a different alignment to the structural building remains was also recorded. The most significant archaeological feature located was a broad ditch 2.5-3m wide and 1-1.5m deep, aligned E-W across the centre of the site, with a presumed break in its length towards the eastern half of the site. This may relate to the priory vallum.
Report to be lodged with the NMRS.
Sponsor: Berwickshire Housing Association.
G Mudie 2001.

Scheduled as Coldingham Priory, claustral remains.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 21 May 2002.


1835 to 1858
 MODIFICATION

Notes A collection of designs and record drawings executed in connection with the restoration of Coldingham Priory by the architect William J Gray, of Gray and Paterson, 1835-1858 (Jubilee Guide, p15).

Further details

2008
 CONSERVATION

Notes NT 9039 6594 The AAM project to develop a community garden (wildlife-friendly with monastic elements such as orchard trees, herbs and historical interpretation) has been in the planning stages for 12 months. It is now linked with the conservation of the Priory ruins. The local authority, Scottish Borders Council, and a charitable trust, Tweed Forum, are combining their efforts with the community group’s AAM project.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland, Scottish Natural Heritage, Scottish Borders Council and various Charitable Trusts and foundations
Julia Carter (Friends of Coldingham Priory), 2008

Further details

9 February 2009 to 25 November 2010
 WATCHING BRIEF

Notes Headland Archaeology conducted a watching brief at Coldingham Priory (a Scheduled Ancient Monument No. 383) during the construction of a communal garden to the south of the scheduled area, and the consolidation of existing ruins within it. The work was jointly commissioned by the Scottish Borders Council, the Tweed Forum, and the Friends of Coldingham Priory, and undertaken in accordance with a Written Scheme of Investigation submitted in order to gain Scheduled Monument consent from Historic Scotland. The watching brief took place over a period of 22 months, and the works were designed so as to minimise any impact on archaeological remains. Ivy and loose stones were removed from the walls of the refectory, cloister, and lapidarium and parts of these walls repointed. A number of architectural stones were recorded within them. The foundations of the refectory, chapter house, south transept, lapidarium, and westwerk, were partially uncovered underneath topsoil during the watching brief, as well as areas of possible paving around the lapidarium and westwerk. Entrance thresholds into the refectory and a previously sub-surface wall (which is likely to represent the eastern wall of the southern transept) were also revealed. A section of ground behind a probable 19th century retaining wall within the cloister was exposed and redeposited graveyard soil overlying the former surface level of the cloister was recorded.
Archive: RCAHMS
Funder: Scottish Borders Council, The Tweed Forum and Friends of Coldingham Priory
Headland Archaeology Ltd 2010

Information also reported in Oasis (headland1-104915) 17 June 2013

Further details

1 October 2012 to 31 October 2012
 WATCHING BRIEF

Notes A watching brief at Coldingham Priory Church observed the construction of a new door in the southern elevation and its associated stair and footpath, ground reduction for an upgraded footpath serving the entrance porch, and the excavation of a trench and associated slapping through the south elevation for a foul pipe for a new toilet. A number of pieces of architectural stonework were recovered. These were incorporated in the construction of the present structure and are derived from the earlier monastic buildings on the site, from the 12th-13th century. The ground breaking works did not penetrate deep enough to uncover any articulated human remains or structural remains of previous buildings. The watching brief found a small amount of disarticulated human remains within the topsoil, which are probably from burials disturbed by the various phases of building works at the site. A small amount of post-medieval pottery and animal bone was also recovered.
Information from Oasis (cfaarcha1-138504) 14 June 2013

Further details

 
Books and References

Bain, S (1998h) 'Coldingham Priory (Coldingham parish), survey', Discovery Excav Scot
Page(s): 79

Baldwin, J (1997) Edinburgh, Lothians and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 157-8 No. 75 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER

Baldwin, J R (1985) Exploring Scotland's heritage: Lothian and the Borders, Exploring Scotland's heritage series Edinburgh
Page(s): 115-16, no. 66 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER

Showing 3 from 28 ...show more
Charity SC026749