Alternative Names Garthland Castle
Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 60553
Site Number NX05NE 4
NGR NX 07743 55417
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District WIGTOWN
Former County WIGTOWNSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Scottish Records Office
Stoneykirk. Garthland Castle
Observations on the Estate of Garthland, the property of Vans Hathorn of Garthland. They include the information that a conerstone of the Castle bears the date 1211 and another stone towards the East 1274. The Castle roof is of oak, signed CR and addressed to Mr John Emslie, Land Surveyor.
1822 GD 135/Box 47/5
(Undated) information in NMRS.
|Notes and Activities|
NX05NE 4 07743 55417
(NX 0773 5544) Garthland Tower (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map (1909)
A square tower, 45 feet high, bearing the date '1274' on its battlements, is described by Chalmers and the NSA. Andrew Symson (1684), says that it was "a good old strong house".
G Chalmers 1824; NSA 1845 (J Anderson); W Macfarlane 1908
No trace of the tower survives. The stone bearing the date '1274', although greatly defaced, has been built into the archway (at NX 0767 5547) between two buildings at Garthland Mains farm.
Visited by OS (RD) 21 February 1968
There are no visible remains of the tower-house which stood 44m NE of Garthland farmhouse. Three stones, each bearing a roll-moulding, which are incorporated in the external masonry at the SE angle of the farmsteading, are probably derived from the tower.
NSA 1845; OS 6-inch map, Wigtownshire, 1st ed. (1850), sheet 22; G Chalmers 1887-1902; W Macfarlane 1906-8; RCAHMS 1985, visited August 1984.
|Books and References|
Chalmers, G (1887-94) Caledonia: or a historical and topographical account of North Britain, 7 vols + index Paisley
Page(s): Vol.3, 356 Held at RCAHMS C.1.2.CHA
Macfarlane, W (1906-8) Geographical collections relating to Scotland, in Mitchell, A and Clark, J T 3v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.2, 96 Held at RCAHMS D.20.MAC.R
NSA (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.4 (Wigtown), 164 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA