Site Type CASTLE, MOTTE
Canmore ID 62795
Site Number NX34SE 5
NGR NX 36016 43275
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District WIGTOWN
Former County WIGTOWNSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Inventory Article No 186
|Notes and Activities|
NX34SE 5 36016 43275.
(NX 3601 4327) Myrton Castle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)
Myrton Castle is in two distinct, disconnected parts. The original, early 16th century keep, which was probably c.40' high, occupies the summit of a mound, 20' high and 56' in diameter, surrounded by a well-defined ditch 6' deep, though much filled-up - evidently an earlier motte. All that remains of the keep is a fragment, c.22' square, open to the N, it was converted into a dovecot c.1860. At the base of the motte to the N, there is a large area of level ground before it again rises. This has been used to add an extension to the old structure, possibly in the late 17th century, at a level a storey below its base. There is now no structural connection between the two buildings, though one may have existed. What remains of the later building is L-shaped in plan, with a wide stair in the re-entrant angle. It is also fragmentary, except for the E wing which has been used as a dwelling, and was used for storage in 1911.
The lands of Myrton belonged to the M'Cullochs, and it was visited by James IV, c.1511, the property passed to the Maxwells in 1682.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911.
Myrton Castle is as described. The E wing of the castle appears to be of a later date.
Revised at 1/2500 (earthworks only).
Visited by OS (IA) 31 January 1973
|Books and References|
M'Kerlie, P H (1870) History of the lands and their owners in Galloway, , vol.1 Edinburgh
Page(s): 33, 235 Held at RCAHMS D.3.MCK
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol.5, 333-7 fig.1442 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC
RCAHMS (1912) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Fourth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in Galloway, 1, county of Wigtown, Edinburgh
Page(s): 75-6, No.186; xxiii Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(4).R
Symson, A (1684) 'A Large Description of Galloway', in W Macfarlane, Geographical Collections Relating to Scotland, in Mitchell, A and Clarke, J T Edinburgh