Port Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CASTLE, ENCLOSURE
Canmore ID 63131
Site Number NX43NW 7
NGR NX 4270 3580
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Parish GLASSERTON
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District WIGTOWN
Former County WIGTOWNSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NX43NW 7 4270 3580.

(NX 4263 3583) Port Castle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)

The ruins of Port Castle occupy a strong position on a rocky promontory. The remains of the enclosing walls follow the shape of the peninsula, while the fourth side, built across the neck, completes a rough rectangle, 70' N-S by 85' transversely over 4' thick walls. At the NE angle the outer walls are reduced almost to ground level, but slight indications remains of a rectangular building formed within the angle. Near the centre of the N wall is a rough opening, possibly originally the main entrance. The N wall curves to meet the W wall, which stands 5' high. What seem to be a modern wall lies parallel to the W wall, forming an enclosure. The whole building is ruinous and featureless, which makes dating impossible.
RCAHMS 1912, visited 1911

Generally as described. In NW angle are the footings of a rectangular building measuring internally 5.2m by 4.2m with no entrance in its NE side. The remains do not constitute a castle, merely a walled enclosure, with two small buildings (of uncertain date) in opposing angles.
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (DWR) 18 January 1973

 
Books and References

RCAHMS (1912) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Fourth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in Galloway, 1, county of Wigtown, Edinburgh
Page(s): 9, No.4 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(4).R

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749