Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 63343
Site Number NX45NW 2
NGR NX 43722 55003
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District WIGTOWN
Former County WIGTOWNSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NX45NW 2 43722 55003
(Name: NX 43722 55003) Wigtown Castle (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map (1957)
Wigtown Castle, in use between c.1260-c.1315 (A E Truckell and J Williams 1967) was situated beside the Bladenoch (which has now changed its course), S of the town. Its site was circular, about half an acre in size, fortified on all sides by a wall of stone and lime. The wall was surrounded by the sea on the E and S, and on the W and N by a ditch c. 30' wide and 10' deep, which, admitting the tide, led round the castle. Nothing now remains of the building, and the ground has long been ploughed up.
It was excavated in 1830 by Capt. R M'Kerlie, when the ditch was clearly seen on the N, where also a semi-circular ridge, of considerable elevation, was accurately traced, this being the remains of the outer wall. The drawbridge and gate were on the SW front of the castle.
The castle was handed over to Edward I in 1291, but retaken by Wallace in 1297, and was probably destroyed by Bruce.
P H M'Kerlie 1870; R C Reid 1878
NX 4371 5500 The site of the castle is bounded on the N by a wide moat while a slight scarp marks the S side. The interior has been quarried.
Resurveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (RD) 18 August 1970.
|Books and References|
M'Kerlie, P H (1870) History of the lands and their owners in Galloway, , vol.1 Edinburgh
Page(s): 331-2 Held at RCAHMS D.3.MCK
RCAHMS (1912) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Fourth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in Galloway, 1, county of Wigtown, Edinburgh
Page(s): 186, No.541 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(4).R
Reid, R C (1926b) 'Some notes on pre-Reformation Wigtown', Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc, 3rd, vol.12