Tongland Abbey

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Old Tongland Parish Church
Site Type ABBEY, CHURCH
Canmore ID 64048
Site Number NX65SE 12
NGR NX 69768 53925
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Parish TONGLAND
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District STEWARTRY
Former County KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

NX65SE 12 69768 53925

See also:

NX65SE 349 69794 53914 Tongland Parish Church

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NX65SE 12 6979 5391 to 6977 5392.

(NX 6979 5391) Tongland Abbey (NR)
Site of, 12th century Church (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map (1852)

Church (NR) On site of Tongland Abbey (NR) 12th Century (NAT)
OS 25" map (1907).

A small fragment of Tongland Abbey which stands in the modern churchyard west of the church has been altered and adapted as a post Reformation church and now measures 48ft by 17ft 7ins inside with wall 2 to 4 feet thick standing, at the west gable,to about 19 feet high; elsewhere the walls are no more than 8 feet high. The north wall is perced by a doorway suggesting an early 17th century date. The modern church is said to occupy part of the site of the abbey.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896; RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911.

The Premonstratensian Abbey of Tongland was founded in 1218, probably by Alan of Galloway . In October 1529 the abbey is described as ruinous, with few monks remaining and, in the following January, it was united with the bishopric of Galloway.
D E Easson 1957

The remains of the church described above are at NX 6977 5392. Only part of the north wall and the west gable remain. The north wall is now c.9.0m long and c.3.0m high. The west gable stands to its full height of c.6.0m and is surmounted by a stone belfry. The doorway in the north wall formed part of Tongland Abbey, having been moved c.10.0m from its original position to be incorporated in the later church.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 1 February 1965

 
Books and References

Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 354, 361, 367 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 88 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS.R

Easson, D E (1957a) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 88 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS

Showing 3 from 7 ...show more
Charity SC026749