Alternative Names Lochinvar Reservoir, Castle
Site Type CASTLE (POSSIBLE)
Canmore ID 64234
Site Number NX68NE 1
NGR NX 6583 8539
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Parish DALRY (STEWARTRY)
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District STEWARTRY
Former County KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NX68NE 1 6583 8539.
(NX 6583 8539) Lochinvar Castle (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957)
The remains of an old square tower on an island in Lochinvar - the original home of the Gordons when they came from Berwickshire in 1297 - is still to be seen. It is still possible to see a causeway below the water, one branch leading to the E shore, and another to the shore on the W.
J Barbour 1897
A few vague indications of walling are all that remain, forming a rough rectangle some 48 x 35 ft over walls now very indefinite, about 5 ft in thickness. At the N side of the rectangle, the vestiges bear a rough resemblance to a circular tower about 10 ft in diameter. There are no features of any kind to suggest the antiquity of the building represented by these ruins.
RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911
Lochinvar has been dammed and the water level raised so that the island is submerged. All that can be seen at the site are two tree stumps protruding above the water level.
Visited by OS (TRG) 26 September 1978.
This monument falls within the area of Lochinvar Reservoir (NX68NE 35.00).
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 25 October 2005.
|Books and References|
Barbour, J (1897b) 'The Glenkens in the olden times', Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc, 2nd, vol.12
Coventry, M (2008) Castles of the Clans: the strongholds and seats of 750 Scottish families and clans, Musselburgh
Page(s): 233 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.COV
Maxwell-Irving, A M T (2000) The Border towers of Scotland: their history and architecture: the West March, [S.l.]
Page(s): 277-8 Fig 374 Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAX