Buittle Old Parish Church
Alternative Names Buittle Old Kirk; Sancanel; Buittle Church; Buittle Old Church; Buittle Old Kirk
Site Type CHURCH, WELL
Canmore ID 64872
Site Number NX85NW 1
NGR NX 80780 59834
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District STEWARTRY
Former County KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NX85NW 1 80780 59834
(NX 80780 59834) Buittle Church (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map (1957).
For successor and present parish church (NX 8080 5989), see NX85NW 13.
The ruins of Buittle Church dedicated to St. Colman (H Scott 1917) consist of 13th century nave and 14th century chancel. Though the detail would rather suggest an earlier date, it is possible that the addition dates from about 1381 when the church was given to Sweetheart Abbey.
The nave appears to have undergone frequent repair in later times; the west gable has a round-headed doorway and window which may have been reconstructed at a later period.
RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; C A R Radford 1963
Sancanel was the name of a well near the ruins of the old parish church.
R F Tarbet 1898
Buittle Old Kirk is as described and planned. No information on the well could be obtained.
Visited by OS (RD) 30 July 1969.
Buittle Old Kirk [NAT]
OS (GIS) MasterMap, August 2009.
|Books and References|
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 324, 349, 352 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO
Gifford, J (1996) Dumfries and Galloway, The Buildings of Scotland series London
Page(s): 136 Held at RCAHMS Quick
RCAHMS (1914) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Fifth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in Galloway, II, county of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, Edinburgh
Page(s): 52-3, No.73 fig.51 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(5).R