New Abbey, Sweetheart Abbey
Site Type ABBEY
Canmore ID 65464
Site Number NX96NE 9
NGR NX 96506 66270
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Parish NEW ABBEY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District NITHSDALE
Former County KIRKCUDBRIGHTSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
NX96NE 9.00 96506 66270
Transactions of the Architectural Institute of Scotland 1864-65 - 1 plan, 2 sections, 3 details and 1 interior.
Antiq. Lib. - Archeol. Coll. of Ayrshire and Galloway Vol X 1894 - 20 plates plans etc.
|Notes and Activities|
NX96NE 9.00 96506 66270
(NX 96506 66270) Remains of Sweetheart Abbey (NR)
(Cistercian - founded 1273) (NAT)
OS 6" map (1971)
NX96NE 9.01 NX 9655 6635 Wall
NX96NE 9.02 NX 9651 6596 Church (New Abbey Parish Church)
NX96NE 9.03 NX 965 664 Slag; Beads
NX96NE 9.04 NX c. 965 664 Coins
NX96NE 9.05 NX 9623 6627 Mill (possible)
NX96NE 9.06 NX 96559 66272 Burial-ground (Cemetery)
For war memorial at NX 96462 66227, see NX96NE 129.
Sweetheart Abbey, alternatively named New Abbey by the RCAHMS, was the last Cistercian foundation in Scotland. It is fully described in the Official Guide (J S Richardson 1951).
It was founded in 1273 by Devorgilla, widow of John Balliol, and was secularised in 1624. Though the conventual buildings have almost entirely disappeared, there are very substantial remains of the Abbey Church, which was dedicated to St Mary. An isolated doorway on the line of the presumed inner wall of the W range faces W, suggesting that the W range shown on the official plan did not exist, and there was instead a free-standing wall on this side.
RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; S Cruden 1960; I B Cowan and D E Easson 1976.
The remains of Sweetheart Abbey are as described and illustrated by the previous authorities.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 6 July 1964.
NX 9660 6603 A watching brief was carried out in January 2002 on groundworks required for the construction of a conservatory to the rear of St Mary's Villas. The site was located within the Scheduled area of the precinct of Sweetheart Abbey (NX96NE 9), a Cistercian house founded in 1273. No deposits, features or finds of archaeological interest were encountered.
Full report deposited in Dumfries and Galloway SMR and the NMRS.
M L Brann 2002
NX 965 662 No archaeological finds or features were noted in a series of post-holes for signs in the vicinity of the precinct wall at Sweetheart Abbey (NX96NE 9). Neither were any finds or features noted in the foundation trenches for an extension to 23 Main Street, New Abbey, that lies within the precinct walls.
Reports lodged with Dumfries and Galloway SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsor: Dumfries and Galloway Council.
J Brann 2004.
New Abbey or Sweetheart Abbey [NAT]
OS (GIS) Master Map, July 2009.
|December 2007 to June 2008||FABRIC RECORDING|
Notes NX 9650 6627 The abbey has a large collection of ex situ carved stone, most of which is on display in the S transept. Work was carried out on this collection December 2007–June 2008. SWT/j/5 is a section of a jamb which can be related to those in the triforium arcade of the nave. As well as its well preserved outer face, a mason’s setting-out mark can be seen on one end of the stone, indicating the centre of the large filleted roll moulding on the outer face.
The tomb and effigy of the abbey’s founder, Queen Devorgilla, occupies a prominent position in the S transept of the abbey church. The tomb has been moved from the choir to this location, and has been damaged and restored a number of times since her death in 1290. A group of six tomb panels, dating from the 16th century, including SWT/tpl/1a+b have been inserted into the sides of the present tomb-chest. These panels were recorded in 1914 as lying in a recess to the E of the S door. They are assumed to have come from a 16th century tomb, replacing an earlier 13th-century monument, of which only the effigy remains (RCAHMS, 1914, 206–207). A drawing in Historic Scotland drawing office, ref 73/293/58, shows the 1932 reconstruction of the tomb, and indicates the placing of the 16th-century panels and coped moulding of the tomb slab.
RCAHMS (1914) Fifth Report and Inventory of Monuments and Constructions in Galloway, Volume II, County of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright. HMSO.
This and other inventories of carved stones at Historic Scotland’s properties in care are held by Historic Scotland’s Collections Unit. For further information go to: email@example.com
Funder: Historic Scotland
Mary Markus, 2008
|Books and References|
Ayrshire Collections (1899) The five great churches of Galloway, Archaeol Hist Collect Ayrshire Galloway, vol.10 Edinburgh
Brann, J (2004a) 'Sweetheart Abbey (New Abbey parish), watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.5
Brann, M L (2002) 'St Mary's Villas, 25 Main Street, New Abbey, Dumfries and Galloway (New Abbey parish), watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.3