Dumfries, High Street, Midsteeple
Alternative Names Town House
Site Type TOWN HOUSE
Canmore ID 65537
Site Number NX97NE 14
NGR NX 97240 76148
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District NITHSDALE
Former County DUMFRIES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
INFORMATION TAKEN FROM THE ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE:
ARCHITECT: Tobias Bachup 1707
James Barbour - restoration
SCOTTISH NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY:
SMT Magazine, May 1951 - 1 photograph
Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC28329- DC28337, 1909, 1954 & 1970- 1971.
|Notes and Activities|
NX97NE 14 97240 76148.
(NX 9723 7611) Midsteeple (NR)
OS 25" map (1975)
The Midsteeple, Dumfries town-house, is oblong on plan and three storeys in height; its square steeple is at the NE end. Modern shops abut its N end. The townhouse measures some 33 1/2 ft by 19 ft within walls 2 1/2 ft in thickness; and the steeple about 17 ft square over walls averaging 4 1/2 ft in thickness. The whole of the ground and first floors of the townhouse, originally containing the weigh-house, town-guard house, and town hall, are now converted into showrooms, while the second floor is used as a workshop. The date '1707' is incised over the entrance, at the S end.
RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912
This building is an early 18th century structure with no outstanding architectural features.
Visited by OS (EGC) 8 December 1960
A stylish three-storey town house built by Tobias Bachop of Alloa 1705-7. The NE built tower is topped by a prominent fleche and the opposite end-wall has carved panels and an external forestair with an attractive wrought-iron balustrade. The predecessor of this building was demolished in or after 1719 but at the end of the 18th century a prison, possibly the tolbooth annexe of 1579-83 still stood 'nearly adjoining' the town house.
G Stell 1982; W McDowell 1867; W R McDiarmid 1886; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; R Edgar 1915; NMRS plans DFD/61/1-2.
NX 9724 7614 A laser scan survey of the 18th-century Midsteeple in Dumfries was carried out in October/November. Scanning was carried out at an effective resolution of less than 10mm, allowing the production of a three-dimensional model and a series of stone-by-stone elevation drawings. (See Fig. 15 overleaf.)
Archive to be deposited with the NMRS.
Sponsor: Dumfries and Galloway Council.
Graeme Cavers, 2006.
|Books and References|
Cavers, G (2006a) 'Midsteeple, Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway (Dumfries parish), survey', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.7 Dorchester
Dumfries, High Street, Midsteeple (1960) 'Dumfries [Midsteeple]' [photograph], Architect Prospect Spring 1960
Edgar, R (1915) An introduction to the history of Dumfries, The Records of the Western Marches, 1 Dumfries
Page(s): 42-4, 147-8 Held at RCAHMS D.3.13.DUM