Alternative Names Lincluden Abbey; Lincluden, Convent
Site Type CHURCH, NUNNERY
Canmore ID 65571
Site Number NX97NE 4
NGR NX 96640 77911
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Parish TERREGLES (DUMFRIES-SHIRE)
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District NITHSDALE
Former County DUMFRIES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
National Library of Scotland
Uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton and numbered 55, Vol.1, a plan given by Capt. Grese, 1790; and a sketch of Lincluden College on the East border of the County, and near Dumfries.
|Notes and Activities|
NX97NE 4 96640 77911.
(NX 9664 7792) Remains of Lincluden College (NR) on site of Nunnery (NR) (Benedictine - founded 1164)
OS 1:10000 map (1978)
Spottiswoode, as well as manuscript and other lists, ascribe the foundation of a Benedictine nunnery here to Uchtred, son of Fergus, Lord of Galloway (d. 1174); others assign it to the reign of Malcolm IV (1153 65). It was suppressed in 1389 and replaced by a college of secular canons.
I B Cowan and D E Easson 1976
The DoE state that the nunnery was founded in 1164. The existing remains are those of the collegiate church and the provost's house. The church, of which the chancel and S aisle survive, dates from the early 15th century; it contains the tomb of Margaret, daughter of Robert III. The provost's house is of 16th century date.
RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911; S Piggott and W D Simpson 1970
Excavations in 1882 at the NW angle of the nave disclosed foundations of a W range of buildings, probably domestic, and indications of a staircase, possibly leading from the church to a dormitory above. Thus there appears to have been a cloister garth or courtyard, measuring some 70 ft by 56 ft, with the church on the S side and a range of buildings on the E, W, and possibly the N, though no foundations were found in the latter direction. At the same time, fragmentary portions of semi-circular piers belonging to the N arcade of the nave were discovered; they are thought to have been part of the original convent. A 15th century frieze and medieval pottery from here are in Dumfries Museum.
J Barbour 1887; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896; A E Truckell 1964; 1975
The remains of Lincluden College are well-preserved. The large rectangular earthwork on the E has been completely renovated by the D o E and now has a modern appearance. Within it, lawns have been laid out in ornamental terracing.
Visited by OS (JLD) 7 December 1960.
NX 966 779 Archaeological monitoring was carried out in April 2000 during excavation of the settings for two metal gate posts. The area was shown to have been landscaped at some period, the topsoil lying directly on the natural clay without the presence of an intervening subsoil.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
D Stewart 2000
|Books and References|
Baillie, M G L (1977) 'An oak ring chronology for south central Scotland', Tree-Ring Bull, vol.37
Page(s): 36 Held at RCAHMS E.5.7.BAI.P
Barbour, J (1887) 'Notes on Lincluden Abbey', Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc, 2nd, vol.4
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 224, 324, 341-5, 348-9, 352, 361-3, 369 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO