Dunscore Old Church, Churchyard And The Laird Of Lag's Tomb
Alternative Names Lag's Tomb; Farthingwell; Lagg's Tomb
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, BURIAL VAULT, CHURCH
Canmore ID 65959
Site Number NX98SW 8
NGR NX 92661 83241
Council DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former Region DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
Former District NITHSDALE
Former County DUMFRIES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NX98SW 8 92661 832341
(NX 9265 8323) Church (NR) (Site of)
Laird of Lag's Tomb (NR)
OS 6" map (1948)
The first mention of the church occurs in 1412: in 1645 it was so ruinous that it was decided to build a new church, more central to the parish. The churchyard, however, continued to be used.
NSA 1841 (R Bryden); P J Hamilton-Grierson 1956.
Sir Robert Grierson of Lag (1650-1736) is buried in the family burial place in the old churchyard. The earliest date in the enclosure is 1656.
RCAHMS 1920, visited 1912
The church of Dunscore is mentioned in a monastic dispute in 1257.
R Simpson 1925
No certain remains of the church can be identified. The Laird of Lag's Tomb is situated in the eastern part of a burial vault at NX 9267 8323. The inscription on the gravestone states that it was moved here from Lag Tower and gives the date of Sir Robert Grierson's death as 1733.
The western part of the burial vault could not be entered at the time of field investigation.
Visited by OS (RDL) 25 June 1964
|Books and References|
Brooke, C J (2000) Safe sanctuaries: security and defence in Anglo-Scottish border churches 1290-1690, Edinburgh
Page(s): 345 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.BRO
Campbell, T (1996) Standing witnesses: an illustrated guide to the Scottish Covenanters, Edinburgh
Page(s): 85-86 Held at RCAHMS C.1.5.CAM
Hamilton-Grierson, P J (1916) 'Notes on the early history of the parish church of Dunscore, the incumbents and the parishioners', Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur Hist Antiq Soc, 3rd, vol.4